Forester Steering Issue

Romstar
Learner Driver

Forester Steering Issue

Postby Romstar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a Forester 2006 XS with a steering shuddering issue which my mechanics don't seem to be able to properly diagnose.

Here is the sequence of events:

Late 2013 - Whenever I would turn my steering wheel, while either stationary or moving slightly (i.e. taking off out of a car spot while at 45 or 90 degree turn - my steering wheel would shudder. This issue began subtly and became progressively worse.

NOTE: When the car was warm, the shudder wasn't as obvious. It seemed to only happen when the car was still cold.

I took it to my mechanic and they replaced the steering belts (2 of them) and the shuddering issue disappeared completely.

Roughly 4 months after the belts were replaced the shuddering returned again. It began subtly and became progressively worse.

I took it back to the mechanic, plus a couple of other mechanics - all of which were at a loss to diagnose the issue.

This is what they did do:
Checked the recently newly installed belts for wear and tension - all OK there.
They flushed out the steering system and increased the idle revs of the car - in hope that the problem would be less noticeable.

None of this has made a difference and in fact, it actually seems to have exacerbated the problem as it's now even worse than it was before I had the belts replaced.
NOTE: It's now happening also when the car is warm (not only cold).

Friends have suggested:
Belt is slipping
Issue with the power steering pump
Air in the system
Replacing the power steering pressure switch

Any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rom

Return to “Forester Related Discussion”