WRX 05 Head gasket replacement - Melbourne - Refer a place!

billyp_
Learner Driver

WRX 05 Head gasket replacement - Melbourne - Refer a place!

Postby billyp_ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Hey guys,

I've just bought an MY05 WRX which has 200+ kms, and I've thought about getting the head gasket replaced (it's not blown) before i get serious with modding.

Want to get it replaced for peace of mind, can anyone recommend anywhere in Melbourne who can do it which won't cost an arm or leg!

I'll also be interested if anyone wanted to do it as a side job for side cash, contingent that you've done it before/know what you are doing...

Thanks, Billy!

05-RSX
S204 Driver

Re: WRX 05 Head gasket replacement - Melbourne - Refer a place!

Postby 05-RSX » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 am

There's no point replacing it if it's not blown.

A new head gasket is just as likely to blow as an old head gasket with modding.

HGs blow because you have high cylinder pressures and stretch head bolts. (Or because you overheat and warp heads :oops: )
If you want to 'future proof' or 'mod proof' your engine from a HG perspective swap over to stronger head studs.
But that in itself is hardly 'proofing' the EJ engine. The OEM pistons (in the large majority of models) aren't built for big power. Depending on how serious your modding is going to get, you might as well pull it out and rebuild it before hand to save you doing it when you pop something.
Campbell.
Team Wagon.

bigBADbenny
Impreza RS Driver

Re: WRX 05 Head gasket replacement - Melbourne - Refer a place!

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:32 am

Build a spare engine with all the fruit. Eg a closed deck destroker with forged rods & pistons & upgraded heads...

Return to “General WRX and Club Discussion”