Update - 313awkw's + 565Nm wheel torque + lots PICS

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Re: Update - 313awkw's + 565Nm wheel torque + lots PICS

Postby robos4 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Logitech wrote:Hi Robos

What do you do with the car to enjoy all the mods?!

Looks nice.

Ummm,

I drive it :shock: haha (like I stole it)
07 Black STI - Singapore
Dom 3 turbo with the works

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Update,

After 6 weeks in the shop I finally picked up the car :)

Damage to piston (from valve connecting to piston, looks like only happened once):

After a bore to 99.75mm we found this warped cylinder):

So instead of buying a new block we put Darton Sleevs in:

New Heat treated crank and Thrust Technology forged con rods:

CP pistons (high compression about 9.2) 99.75mm with machine work to increase valve clearance:

Breaking it in now.. Engine feels sooooooo much smoother and just better all round (quieter, doens't stall like it used to, idles perfect).

Once break in complete going to get rotated turbo (FP HTA GT3582R with Tial V-Band). Buying a daily driver as well..

07 Black STI - Singapore

T-Rex
MY04 WRX Driver
MY04 WRX Driver

Postby T-Rex » Mon May 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Nice update, even more proof of the stock cylinder walls moving under high boost/power. Many deny that it happens, but it just goes to show it does. But over 30psi is rare for a street car.. You shouldn't have any trouble with the Darton sleeves.
Full Race wrote:A smaller a/r has less efficiency at low flow and higher efficiency at high flow. A larger a/r has more efficiency at low flow and less efficiency at high flow

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Almost ready for a tune :)

Done 2500km of 3000km and car goes in next WED (leaving with tuner for 2-3 days)

Wondering how it will turn out...
07 Black STI - Singapore

RTG
Probationary Driver

Postby RTG » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 am

how'd you go with the Tune?
this space was left blank

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Sorry for the delay

Good news and bad news.....

Good news - Car was tuned and felt a million bucks (after 3000rpm). The tune with 1-2 psi less boost (31psi) and everything else exactly the same picked up 37awhp (about 27awkw gain) gain and held power a little better up top in the rev range.

It proves that going to a sleeved block with a big turbo setup will definately gain you good power increases :)

Car feels manic once it gets boost (found myself laughing for a long time when I nailed it haha)

Bad news - I've been having this VERY VERY frustrating problem with a low rpm hesitation. Pretty much happens when you give anything more than 20% load through the throttle (more often up a slight hill) it would hesitate and sometimes even misfire @ 2600-2700rpm..
Been trying to fix this problem for th last 8 months or so. It seems to be a VERY common problem in North America for the 07 STI. there is many threads on it but no solution yet (this is different to the 08 low rpm hesitation too).

It was there with the old engine and it came out of the blue.. I just changed an exhaust one day driving home and the entire car just pulled timing and misfired (would not accelerate) I freaked out, turned car off and restart - problem went away strange right..

Next day very small hesitation came and started to get worse over time now misfiring under load and 50% gas. This was on my old engine by the way..

Rebuild my engine as I'm told it was a mechanical problem, new engine and felt beutiful until about 50km's of driving.. Hesitation comes back even stronger at exactly 2600-2700rpm.

Pull AVCS sensors (two blue plugs) and run 0 cam timing (we think it's cam related) problem went away except only when the outside tempreature dropped to 26 degrees at night the hesitation would come back. (soooo friggin weird.. and remember it's singapore 26 degrees is cold here).

Fast forward to today, we have changed, replaced and checked ALMOST EVERYTHING mechanical (compression test, spark plugs, coils, avcs solenoid, put my MAF back on, check cam gears, put a camera in the engine, etc etc...)

There seems to be a new problem now.... Misfire even at idle (cold warm anythign under 3000rpm it misfires)

I believe it is a new problem and not really related.

The only thing that got us a result was when we swapped my ECU with another STI's ECU and ran another tuning software, plugged it in started it up. Problem was still there exactly the same (so my factory ECU is working as it shouild) but the strangest thing.............. plug back my ECU and Car was perfect......... no misfire, no hesitation car drove perfect for 1 day... then everything started creeping back.

thats where I am as of this morning...

I'm told that moving to aftermarket ECU (Hydra or Link etc) will fix the problem.. But I dont want to pay 5k to find out. (I run ECUTEK)
Last edited by robos4 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
07 Black STI - Singapore

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:36 pm

forgot to mention.

Earlier in the day on old eninge - we removed the knock sensor (telling ECUTEK to turn knock off did not fix problem). Once we removed it the problem went away 7 months ago.

fastforaward to new engine and we removed knock sensor and it STILL does it.. So it's not knock related..

Also we have since found 3 other 07 STI's in Singapore with same problem.. a couple of local tuners have stated they can not tune STI's with 272 cams running factory ecu..

I'm running GSC stage 2 cams (272) with springs and a mild port and polish in the heads.
07 Black STI - Singapore

bumblebee
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby bumblebee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Mate for the amount of time effort and money you have committed, just get yourself an aftermarket ecu and be done with it.
I would look at a MoTeC.
White GC8

T-Rex
MY04 WRX Driver
MY04 WRX Driver

Postby T-Rex » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Does the car run rich and have black smoke out the exhaust when it is misfiring? My brother had a similar problem with his WRX (2000 model) where it ran rich, hardly idled and blew black smoke. He replaced the spark leads, spark plugs, o2 sensor, cleaned Idle Air Control Valve, and replaced the ECU and had a slight improvement but problem was still there. After more head scratching he replaced the spark plugs (again) and problem solved! The problem was the ECU, it caused the car to run rich, when he replaced the spark plugs it helped slightly, but they soon became fouled by the rich fuel mixture. So when he replaced the ECU it didn't fix the problem because the plugs were now fouled! Once he replaced the plugs for the second time it fixed the problem..

It may not be the problem your having, but it goes to show even when you think you have tried everything, you might have to cover the same thing twice to find the problem.
Full Race wrote:A smaller a/r has less efficiency at low flow and higher efficiency at high flow. A larger a/r has more efficiency at low flow and less efficiency at high flow

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:31 pm

T-Rex your on the money...

That was exactly the problem to the misfire at idle.. Spark plugs which were 1 week old had fouled due to running rich..

That problem was solved yday and car idles perfect..

Still havE the other problem (8month old problem) hesitation at 2600 rpm under load..

Just bought a house and under going huge renovations, buying a 5k standalone ecu is out of the question for at least a couple of months..

Car going back to tuner for the upteenth time for a final tune. We will put back the old cam timing and I'll just have to drive around problem for a couple of months..

FLat foot shifting is getting done too :)

Thanks
Rob
07 Black STI - Singapore

T-Rex
MY04 WRX Driver
MY04 WRX Driver

Postby T-Rex » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Not sure why its $5,000 for an ECU in Singapore. Is it because its expensive to buy the ECU, or expensive to tune it? Here is a link to a good ECU we use in Australia (Link G4). Generally between $600-$1,000 for a tune so $2400-$2800 tuned.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-WRX-0 ... 951wt_1139

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 am

My first quote was for Hydra with tuning is $4800 sgd

The guy works veryclosely with the workshop that built my car so makes sense to do it..

If I recall I was also quoted well over 4k for Link plus tune too...
07 Black STI - Singapore

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:21 am

If anyone is interested, here is one of many threads in the US talking about this hesitation I have:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34811684#post34811684
07 Black STI - Singapore

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Update,

Tuner had one last crack at it...

This time he spent more time on:

- injector latency
- throttle tip-in enrichment
- MAF scaling (never used to run a MAF but put on a blow through MAF in the end and boy does it idle nice now)

Car feels much better than before and the loud bang @ 2500rpm has gone.. However the hesitation was impossible to remove and as such we have to run only 8degrees cam timing at that rpm (instead of the old 20degrees). Can certainly feel the loss of spool and build up.. Boooo but feels very smooth and no hesitation now (well 70% better than before)

Sooooo f it... I'm buying a new turbo and a new engine mgt (along with new sticky bigger tyres)

As for turbo, I am buying either a:

- FP GT3582 A/R 1.06 (or is it 1.02 wat Eva)
- FP GT3586 A/R 0.82

Both with HTA wheel and Tial hot side (V-Band)

Just can't decide and been thinking about it for months now.

Worried the 3586 will not match the smaller hot side as I remember reading about it before..

If the car is making 500whp odd on my current dyno, I would want to shoot for at least another 75-100whp more.. Any suggestions?? Also looking for peak power above 7300rpm

Thoughts?

Buying in less than one month lol (found some money)

Ps. Apologies for bad typing as using iPad
07 Black STI - Singapore

T-Rex
MY04 WRX Driver
MY04 WRX Driver

Postby T-Rex » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 pm

No variant of GT35 will make 575whp on a EJ25 without race fuel and 35psi. As for what will fit in stock location, probably not much larger than a GT35. Have you thought about using the new GTX series with billet wheel? The GTX3582 flows close to 10% more as long as your running over 25psi which you are. You might get close to 575whp but i wouldn't be expecting it. Otherwise maybe look at the GT3782 or GT3788.

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 am

Sorry if I confused you or anyone.

I am currently running one of the largest turbos for stock location.

Obviously I'm going to have to go to a rotated offset turbo for the turbos I have mentioned above.

And I did say, on my dyno I want a 75-100whp gain from a stock location turbo to a larger offset gt3586 turbo. It was a question too :)

Or should I go a GT3586 with 1.06 A/R?? I don't want tO go any larger than this.. Ever...

Thoughts?
07 Black STI - Singapore

NissTrust
Impreza RS Driver

Update - 313awkw's + 565Nm wheel torque + lots PICS

Postby NissTrust » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 am

Gt3586 with 1.06 a/r , you won't live in regret about what if. Or gt40 or t04z :)

Subey
Red Bugeye Driver
Red Bugeye Driver

Postby Subey » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:59 am

Do you get a rich dip on tip-in even if you have tip in tables modified? If so it is because there is another ECU compensation going on that is being investigated in this thread here on Romraider.com.

T-Rex
MY04 WRX Driver
MY04 WRX Driver

Postby T-Rex » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 pm

A guy here in Australia is making 425whp with a GT3582 with .82 rear, rotated mount using 19psi on 98 pump fuel. It seems to be the perfect combo for low boost. But when approaching higher boost like 30psi the 1.06 rear will probably come into its own.

robos4
Impreza RS Driver

Postby robos4 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Subey wrote:Do you get a rich dip on tip-in even if you have tip in tables modified? If so it is because there is another ECU compensation going on that is being investigated in this thread here on Romraider.com.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and link.

Sent this link to my tuner and as it turns out he said my hesitation is doing the opposite. I get a lean condition on tip-in..

But really appreciate your help :)

Have locked in the turbo..

FP HTA GT3586 with Tial V-band hot side (A/R 0.82)

I'm looking for peak power to be over 7200rpm is all.. (current turbo is about 6600rpm) I'm also confident the spool will be very similar to my current setup too..

Once it's in will try tune with current ECU and see if hesitation goes away. If not I'll go and buy a standalone

Rob
07 Black STI - Singapore

Return to “General WRX and Club Discussion”