Subaru sti version 5 coupe, on your advice. Thanks

Barni
Learner Driver

Re: Subaru sti version 5 coupe, on your advice. Thanks

Postby Barni » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 7066/?Cr=0[/quote]
None of the stickers on the car are original, or original for the model. The side stickers have pink on them (must be the sticker for the white V5's).[/quote]

Ok thank you for clarifying.

Gusty
Impreza RS Driver

Postby Gusty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:22 pm

red clubbie wrote:No doubt you can find them for less, but those ones are not what the collector/enthusiast wants.

The value in these cars is in the originality and condition.
You try and find a nice original stock car......it's very hard these days because many of them have been modified
to the point that you can't return them to original spec.....

All I'm saying is that these GC8 STI's are collector cars and if you can find a nice original one, then it's like money in the Bank. The trend these days is to try and buy original spec cars.

Together with my 22B I also have an MY 2000 WRX which I bought new in October 1999.
Both cars are in original condition and that's the way I like them.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Nice collection, any pics? And what do you do for a living lol

red clubbie
Learner Driver

Postby red clubbie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:30 pm

I was a Partner in a Chartered Accountancy Practice....

I also have another collectable car, but probably not appropriate for a WRX Forum.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Red Dirt
Probationary Driver

Postby Red Dirt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Barni wrote:
Red Dirt wrote:Why are low klms so important, will this purchase be for investment purposes ?

Less stress, wear and tear generally speaking, I will be driving it so not an investment as it's still to far away to demand a premium price as a speculative investment.
If I am ever in need to resell for some reason, lower km makes a huge difference to price.
Around the 70,000km mark is what I'd like to find or slightly higher if it's been looked after.

Even with low klms its an old car that will develop old car problems.

I personally cant see them being worth "big bucks" in the future, most aussies are into/grew up with aussie cars. A VR clubsport with 50k on it would be s better investment.
Even 22b sales are slow here, theres only a handfull of people willing to outlay the cash
:cool:

Barni
Learner Driver

Postby Barni » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Red Dirt wrote:
Barni wrote:
Red Dirt wrote:Why are low klms so important, will this purchase be for investment purposes ?

Less stress, wear and tear generally speaking, I will be driving it so not an investment as it's still to far away to demand a premium price as a speculative investment.
If I am ever in need to resell for some reason, lower km makes a huge difference to price.
Around the 70,000km mark is what I'd like to find or slightly higher if it's been looked after.

Even with low klms its an old car that will develop old car problems.

I personally cant see them being worth "big bucks" in the future, most aussies are into/grew up with aussie cars. A VR clubsport with 50k on it would be s better investment.
Even 22b sales are slow here, theres only a handfull of people willing to outlay the cash

Hi red dirt, the car is for fun as I've always wanted one. Vr clubsport does not even come close to the driving dynamics and sheer fun that this car brings. I don't know which car will be a better investment. If I was purchasing for investment I would import the e30 m3 which is at the similar price and regarded as one of the best drivers car and demand is world wide at the moment. I just want one....subaru.....not HSV.

Red Dirt
Probationary Driver

Postby Red Dirt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Have you driven a stock 2 door ?

In stock form they aint that impressive. Minimum you need some real tyres, suspension & engine mods to make them fun
:cool:

Barni
Learner Driver

Postby Barni » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Red Dirt wrote:Have you driven a stock 2 door ?

In stock form they aint that impressive. Minimum you need some real tyres, suspension & engine mods to make them fun

i have not driven one, I owned a 2000model wrx, and I enjoyed it very much, and it was standard apart from exhaust cat back. I have been taken for a drive in one though. I'm not after moddying it, this isn't for track work, good tyres is a must on all my cars. I have a fun track car already.

W_R_X
Impreza RS Driver

Postby W_R_X » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:54 am

Barni wrote:
Gusty wrote:
Barni wrote:
Gusty wrote:are you talking about the rear tail light?

Yes thanks.

The version 5 does not have any sticker underneath the right rear tail light. Only the JDM type R has a white sticker "Type R" in that place.

Ok thanks, I was confused as I've seen this in a couple cars before. It won't let me post a pic so I've added this car off carsales to show you what I mean. Scroll through the pics till you see the rear end, right side under tail light. It's nor clear.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 7066/?Cr=0

That's just a MRT Enhanced sticker, any $2 shop sells them, definitely not a genuine badge from factory.

The Oz delivered Version 5's had no other badging on the rear end at all apart from the large WRX STi graphic emblazoned on the middle of the bootlid. The Version 6 was the same plus it had a small chrome AWD badge under the rear right hand tail light.
2003 STi Spec C Limited

W_R_X
Impreza RS Driver

Postby W_R_X » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:03 am

You can't be serious...

They're great fun in all original form, they obviously don't compare to the newer STi's of today, but when they were new here in 99 they were rediculously impressive.
Last edited by W_R_X on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 STi Spec C Limited

Hasti
WRX STi Driver

Postby Hasti » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:07 am

That's why they where the smash and grab car back in those days!
92 RS Lib - No more!
06 STi - No more!
01 GT Foz - No more!
99 V5 STi coupe - Current.

Barni
Learner Driver

Postby Barni » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks for the stickers and badges responses guys.

Its just a thought that I'm putting out to the group. What would you realistically pay for this car or what do you think it's worth....a ball park figure would be good.
Info I know so far is that the full service history wasn't done to manaul requirements but oil and filter basics were done all through subaru.
has had recent timing belt service performed, and new clutch at 80,000km, currently at 94,000km. Both front and rear bumper bars damaged, repaired and resprayed, bonnet resprayed, part of engine bay resprayed...this is due to electrolysis of the battery which caused it to bubble the paint under the bonnet and area where battery is I was told? Dent in the roof that had to be pushed out.
Couple scratches that are visible, its been used as a daily drive for some time.
Hard to guess a figure without seeing it, and driving it, but I'm assuming the engine and gearbox works well.
What are your thoughts.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 3004/?Cr=1

rexmang
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby rexmang » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi Barni,

I think you will not regret buying a 2door, I certainly haven't.
Great unique car here in Australia. I have however modified mine greatly, added a lot of gear off newer sti's, 2.5, brembos, 6 speed, 13:1 quick steering rack off a typeR..etc I have however kept all the original parts. When modified tastefully they are still a very quick car and certainly handle fantastic.

As for your question, they are worth what people are willing to pay. I personally wouldn't pay 32k for it, not even close more like 25 at most.

Heres a few pics of mine and gustys.

99 V5 STI Team coupe| built 2.5L|Dom 3 XTR 8cm@26psi|Water to air goodness| 07 STI 6MT dccd Short box | Brembos|

cuztom1
Learner Driver

Postby cuztom1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Have you driven a vr vs hsv clunkadore even with 0 ks it is uniprezive.
399 made, 0-60mph in 4.9 and coupe no clunkAdores doin that in the 90s.

Barni
Learner Driver

Postby Barni » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 am

[quote="rexmang"]Hi Barni,

I think you will not regret buying a 2door, I certainly haven't.
Great unique car here in Australia. I have however modified mine greatly, added a lot of gear off newer sti's, 2.5, brembos, 6 speed, 13:1 quick steering rack off a typeR..etc I have however kept all the original parts. When modified tastefully they are still a very quick car and certainly handle fantastic.

As for your question, they are worth what people are willing to pay. I personally wouldn't pay 32k for it, not even close more like 25 at most.

Thanks for the response and pictures.
I'm all for tasteful moddying and what you have done is great. This particular car I don't see the value in moddying as its more than enough entertainment for my skill level at the type of driving I do, i can also adjust my style to suit the car if need be. Original or close to stock as possible would be great, I wouldn't discard a car with the correct mods, as long as the standard parts were available.

So 25k at most for that car....I know hard to offer a price, without a full detailed report but I was thinking the same price actually. Wonder what everyone else thinks?

red clubbie
Learner Driver

Postby red clubbie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Have you seen this one??

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/pri ... 89590&Cr=1

Cheers,

Geoff.

Hasti
WRX STi Driver

Postby Hasti » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Nice
92 RS Lib - No more!
06 STi - No more!
01 GT Foz - No more!
99 V5 STi coupe - Current.

Barni
Learner Driver

Postby Barni » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:45 pm

red clubbie wrote:Have you seen this one??

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/pri ... 89590&Cr=1

Cheers,

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, just called and spoke to the owner....will find out a some more tomorrow through mrt hopefully.
Can I ask if these have the same stereo deck from the wrx models? If all is well with the vehicle I would like to return it to standard and owner doesn't have the stock stereo and other part that sits under it.

Cheers

W_R_X
Impreza RS Driver

Postby W_R_X » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:07 pm

I'd be a bit suss on a potential front ender on this one.

Take a look at the radiator support beam across the front, the air con sticker isn't present. Apart from a repair job, there's no reason for this to be removed and majority cars I've looked at that have the air con sticker missing have been involved in some sort of front end accident.

It also appears that the bolt head in the picture of the vin plate has unnecessary wear which also may indicate that the front guard has been removed at some stage. Again a vehicle with no accident history would have no reason to have had the front guard removed.

Having previously owned a mint very low km Version 5 STi that took me ages to find, trust my judgment on this...
2003 STi Spec C Limited

Barni
Learner Driver

Postby Barni » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:19 pm

W_R_X wrote:I'd be a bit suss on a potential front ender on this one.

Take a look at the radiator support beam across the front, the air con sticker isn't present. Apart from a repair job, there's no reason for this to be removed and majority cars I've looked at that have the air con sticker missing have been involved in some sort of front end accident.

It also appears that the bolt head in the picture of the vin plate has unnecessary wear which also may indicate that the front guard has been removed at some stage. Again a vehicle with no accident history would have no reason to have had the front guard removed.

Having previously owned a mint very low km Version 5 STi that took me ages to find, trust my judgment on this...

Lol well I'm glad you picked up on this. I didn't want to say anything negative until tomorrow but in all my years speaking to people something is seriously wrong with this whole picture. I'll confirm tomorrow. The owner has mentioned the car has never ever been in any accident, never ever had any paint fixed or resprayed, ever. I asked if has been tuned or moddified in any way.... After 5 second pause...the owner said, "the car has never been moddified that I'm aware of". I asked if he could send me some photos of the manaul showing the service history....I was sent the service manaul picture of the book....the front cover, not the inside lol. Every question was redirected.
Short story....this is very odd. I could be wrong.....but doubt it.

W_R_X
Impreza RS Driver

Postby W_R_X » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Barni wrote:
W_R_X wrote:I'd be a bit suss on a potential front ender on this one.

Lol well I'm glad you picked up on this. I didn't want to say anything negative until tomorrow but in all my years speaking to people something is seriously wrong with this whole picture. I'll confirm tomorrow. The owner has mentioned the car has never ever been in any accident, never ever had any paint fixed or resprayed, ever. I asked if has been tuned or moddified in any way.... After 5 second pause...the owner said, "the car has never been moddified that I'm aware of". I asked if he could send me some photos of the manaul showing the service history....I was sent the service manaul picture of the book....the front cover, not the inside lol. Every question was redirected.
Short story....this is very odd. I could be wrong.....but doubt it.

All the ugly MRT stickers are cheap and tacky, could also be a good representation of the quality (Or lack there of) of mods that it may have had...

Report back once you've taken a look, I'd be interested to know its overall condition.

Another thing to check is that all panel gaps are the same right the way around the vehicle with know irregularities..
2003 STi Spec C Limited

Return to “General WRX and Club Discussion”