Page 1 of 1

New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:26 pm
by Steakboy
Hey, in the next month or 2 I’m getting ready to buy a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback. I’m pretty certain I don’t need an STI, as seeing how this out of my budget, turbo lag(since this will be my city street daily driver), and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds is plenary fast for me... for now. But from a beginners perspective I have a couple questions I’d like help with.
1. Is there any major performance/mechanical differences between a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback? (I’m not worried about aesthetics, strictly under the hood type stuff).
2. A buddy told me certain 2014 WRX Hatch have a 6 speed transmission. Is this true? Or do only the WRX STI have the 6 speed transmissions.
3. I’ve heard blown head gaskets can be a problem, so what are some telltale signs?
3.5. with blown head gaskets, what are some other common issues to look for when buying used?
4. Lastly I’ve seen used WRX hatchbacks in the United States, Utah specifically, go for anywhere from $11K to $24k. All with roughly 50k-80k miles. That is a large spread. What price is a decent price for such a Subaru?
Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a Subaru, and officially join the club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 am
by specr
Steakboy wrote:Hey, in the next month or 2 I’m getting ready to buy a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback. I’m pretty certain I don’t need an STI, as seeing how this out of my budget, turbo lag(since this will be my city street daily driver), and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds is plenary fast for me... for now. But from a beginners perspective I have a couple questions I’d like help with.
1. Is there any major performance/mechanical differences between a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback? (I’m not worried about aesthetics, strictly under the hood type stuff).
2. A buddy told me certain 2014 WRX Hatch have a 6 speed transmission. Is this true? Or do only the WRX STI have the 6 speed transmissions.
3. I’ve heard blown head gaskets can be a problem, so what are some telltale signs?
3.5. with blown head gaskets, what are some other common issues to look for when buying used?
4. Lastly I’ve seen used WRX hatchbacks in the United States, Utah specifically, go for anywhere from $11K to $24k. All with roughly 50k-80k miles. That is a large spread. What price is a decent price for such a Subaru?
Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a Subaru, and officially join the club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hey mate, good choice on that year in the hatch

1. AFAIK, no mechanical differences. The narrow body 2010 and earlier were known to suffer from ringland failure but I'm pretty sure your safe in 2011 and above.
2. Never heard of the G3 wrx with a 6 speed. You'd have to go 2015 sedan for 6 speed.
3. Telltale signs are oil leaks and hesitation under acceleration. If you open the radiator cap while the engine is on and there's bubble's that could be a sign too.
4. This is majority an Aussie forum so I can't comment on prices in the states. Hatches are generally more expensive as they're rarer in the later model g3's, especially 2013-2014

Cheers

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 am
by Steakboy
specr wrote:[quote="Steakboy"]Hey, in the next month or 2 I’m getting ready to buy a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback. I’m pretty certain I don’t need an STI, as seeing how this out of my budget, turbo lag(since this will be my city street daily driver), and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds is plenary fast for me... for now. But from a beginners perspective I have a couple questions I’d like help with.
1. Is there any major performance/mechanical differences between a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback? (I’m not worried about aesthetics, strictly under the hood type stuff).
2. A buddy told me certain 2014 WRX Hatch have a 6 speed transmission. Is this true? Or do only the WRX STI have the 6 speed transmissions.
3. I’ve heard blown head gaskets can be a problem, so what are some telltale signs?
3.5. with blown head gaskets, what are some other common issues to look for when buying used?
4. Lastly I’ve seen used WRX hatchbacks in the United States, Utah specifically, go for anywhere from $11K to $24k. All with roughly 50k-80k miles. That is a large spread. What price is a decent price for such a Subaru?
Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a Subaru, and officially join the club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hey mate, good choice on that year in the hatch

1. AFAIK, no mechanical differences. The narrow body 2010 and earlier were known to suffer from ringland failure but I'm pretty sure your safe in 2011 and above.
2. Never heard of the G3 wrx with a 6 speed. You'd have to go 2015 sedan for 6 speed.
3. Telltale signs are oil leaks and hesitation under acceleration. If you open the radiator cap while the engine is on and there's bubble's that could be a sign too.
4. This is majority an Aussie forum so I can't comment on prices in the states. Hatches are generally more expensive as they're rarer in the later model g3's, especially 2013-2014

Cheers[/quote]
Wow! Thanks for the solid answers! I’m a big fan of the wide body, so that’s why I chose 2011+. After I posted I realized the .com.au in the website url. So the pricing question was far fetched.
Question: when you say G3, I’m assuming that is a social way of saying 3rd generation right? It’s not a Subaru WRX G3, right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:31 am
by specr
The GR is the model code for the hatch and GV is for the sedan. They call them G3 to summarise the 2008-2014 models

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am
by Steakboy
specr wrote:The GR is the model code for the hatch and GV is for the sedan. They call them G3 to summarise the 2008-2014 models

Well hey! The more you know! Thanks again! Can’t wait to post pics of my very own sink wrx G3


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm
by neptune11
You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm
by Steakboy
neptune11 wrote:You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 am
by neptune11
Steakboy wrote:
neptune11 wrote:You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It's a 2011 year model.. hence MY11..
Well I had to get an engine rebuild about year & half ago, with forged internals built in, organic heavy duty clutch, Kevlar timing belt, Killer b oil pick up & baffle, ect. To keep up with the demands of occasional club track days. The rebuild was required after a ringland piston failure most likely caused from track days...ha..
But if you're daily driving only, I'd say you'd be fine..

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 am
by Steakboy
neptune11 wrote:[quote="Steakboy"][quote="neptune11"]You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

It's a 2011 year model.. hence MY11..
Well I had to get an engine rebuild about year & half ago, with forged internals built in, organic heavy duty clutch, Kevlar timing belt, Killer b oil pick up & baffle, ect. To keep up with the demands of occasional club track days. The rebuild was required after a ringland piston failure most likely caused from track days...ha..
But if you're daily driving only, I'd say you'd be fine..[/quote]
Ok, I know a bit about cars so I actually know what most of those repairs are. Except the organic thing. I’ve rebuilt a 1969 MGB, so I can do some stuff. But yeah it would be a daily driver. Nothing fast or crazy. Except when a Honda Civic with a fart cannon for a muffler pulls up next to me, and they rev their engine so I gotta go fast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am
by neptune11
Steakboy wrote:
neptune11 wrote:[quote="Steakboy"][quote="neptune11"]You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It's a 2011 year model.. hence MY11..
Well I had to get an engine rebuild about year & half ago, with forged internals built in, organic heavy duty clutch, Kevlar timing belt, Killer b oil pick up & baffle, ect. To keep up with the demands of occasional club track days. The rebuild was required after a ringland piston failure most likely caused from track days...ha..
But if you're daily driving only, I'd say you'd be fine..[/quote]
Ok, I know a bit about cars so I actually know what most of those repairs are. Except the organic thing. I’ve rebuilt a 1969 MGB, so I can do some stuff. But yeah it would be a daily driver. Nothing fast or crazy. Except when a Honda Civic with a fart cannon for a muffler pulls up next to me, and they rev their engine so I gotta go fast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Haha... just let the turbo do the work, & hopefully there's some twisties ahead, for the all paw drive show it's grip.