Running cable through the fuel line firewall grommit

mv75
Impreza WRX Driver

Running cable through the fuel line firewall grommit

Postby mv75 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:15 pm

So that grommet on the firewall for the fuel hard lines has a single un-popped dimple on it. It's got 4 spots, but only three are used. Anyone drilled/cut that out to run 8 gauge wire through before? Thinking it may be a more tidy way to get the amp power through since I currently run it down the passenger side anyway and would save about 2 meters of cable.

REVNURAZR
Probationary Driver

Re: Running cable through the fuel line firewall grommit

Postby REVNURAZR » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Lot easier to run through the passenger side grommet, plus the battery is on that side in most Subaru's?

Personally I'd leave it there.

mv75
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Right now I've got it going in the driver side with the rest of the cabling going in from the engine bay, (boost, wideband, oil pressure), with it snaking behind the dash, around the top of the ecu, then down the passenger side with the fuel rails.

Just wondering if anyone has used that grommet that the fuel hard lines use at all?

mv75
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 pm

So I got around to doing it.

I pushed it from behind later to pop the rubber back out. From the cabin, it enters here, with the fan and glove box removed, the hole up the top is where the fan gets outside air:

Just pull the backing down and it's right there:

I had a time making the hole using a scalpel and drill bit by hand from the engine bay. If I checked in cabin first I could have drilled through from behind. Doh. Ah well, it's a lot better than routing wire over the engine bay, then back over under the dash. Plus I got the in-line fuse for it inside, I tucked it next to the relays on the wall that go behind the sill trim.

Return to “In Car Entertainment and Alarms”