brant standard functionality??? lil' help please

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

brant standard functionality??? lil' help please

Postby Yeldz » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:07 pm

So does anyone know if I entered an incorrect code into the keypad (fat finger syndrome, in a hurry etc)
Does it take a few minutes with doors locked, random keypad flash before I can restart the car?

I got stuck in my brother in laws driveway for about 10 minutes yesterday, not sure whether the system is playing up or it is a standard function.

Please don't post "yeah just rip it" because that isn't an option atm.

The main alarm module was replaced less than 18 months ago.
All41N14All

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: brant standard functionality??? lil' help please

Postby Delivan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:03 pm

As far as I know you just need to relock the car, unlock it, and try the start process again..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

Alpha Dog
Blue MY06 STi Driver
Blue MY06 STi Driver

Postby Alpha Dog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:13 pm

If you are trying to disarm the system to start the car and enter the wrong code, cycle the ignition off/on and try again. No need to lock/unlock. RTFM, including how to know a wrong code has been entered.
Photo credit: Joel Strickland Photographics - thanks Joel!

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:54 am

Thanks gents.
Looks like its playing up then.
Not good news...kinda does my head in, car bricked...car good.
(I know you had a similar experience with your wife's car recently Delivan)
Well I have roadside assist in case I get stuck before I can have it looked at.
(best pop off my front lip now 'cause in won't make it onto a flatbed with it on...not intact anyway)

Thanks again for your help!
Much appreciated!
All41N14All

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:28 pm

After pulling my wife's unit apart once it was removed, I could clearly see cracked solder joints which would have definately been the cause of the problem. Extreemly easy to fix. If you aren't good at board soldering, take it to someone who is.. It is litterally a 2 minute job... Melt spot...suck off the old solder and dab on new solder...problem solved... I have heard the same story/fix on here on a couple of occassions over the years and a quick resolder has always fixed the problem...It is usually always one of the large componebts on the board which suffers from heat stress as it runs the fuel pump as well the the accessories...windows etc ..so over time the solder dries , cracks, and looses contact usually when the day get a bit hot.
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks Delivan.
I did see the pics of your wife's unit with the cracked solder.
Common problem with any PCB exposed to heat for an extended period.

I'm very confident using a soldering iron.
When it comes to electrical installations I have worked on everything from the most delicate electronics for SCADA through to High Voltage Switch gear & Transformers in my time so I'm sure I could fix the problem myself.

I do need a little help though in respect to the location of components.
Best do this by Private Message if you can help.
I'll send you a PM mate.
All41N14All

Alpha Dog
Blue MY06 STi Driver
Blue MY06 STi Driver

Postby Alpha Dog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I agree this (re-soldering the dry joints) solved the problem for me. It has lasted many years. There are several pics of the right joints to touch out there. Its odd that your main unit was replaced less than 18 months ago and yet appears to have failed.... I'd be taking that up with whomever supplied it.

Caution: unless you have the master code, as I understood it, you must do this 'live', that is, without disconnecting the main unit you are about to repair. That makes the whole operation tricky... if you unplug the main unit, I understand it will not work again until the master code is used. Don't ask me how to use the master code... I did the work without disconnecting the main unit so didn't need it.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks Alpha Dog.
The main module was replaced by Subaru Glen Waverley.
I'll get them to have a look at it & they can sort the issue.

The car has been ok the last two days so hopefully I can get it in there Monday without the need for a flatbed.
(murphy's law in play at our place atm. Being a 2 rex family we're already 1 down with a clutch slave cylinder fail on my missus bugeye which is going into URD Monday arvo)
Monday being our 1st day back at work...fun times!

Appreciate the advice mate!
All41N14All

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Hmmmm.. Soldering in while still installed...That makes it interesting.. Still many people have managed to do it and the cracked joints are easy to spot so should be ok. I was unable to advise where the main unit is located as I never saw it being removed so if anyone knows , please share it here...I bet Subaru charge like wounded bulls for a new one of those...
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Well my Brant issue should now be sorted. Another long story long...
Car wouldn't start 3 times last Thursday but I was able to get it going in under a minute.
Booked it in at Subaru for the next Thursday...1st day available.
Got stuck in my driveway after washing my car Monday night for nearly an hour (blocking Linz in...she wasn't happy)
So the car sat at home for a couple of days...tried it Wednesday night...low volts.
Power base jump & she started straight away, left her running as long as I could but had to go out.
Next morning nothing...massive battery drain overnight to the point where the alarm wouldn't even disable.
Again Power base hook up, alarm disabled & a minute later the keypad lit up...code & key cycle all good.
So off to Subaru Glen Waverley.
Something bad must have happened there that morning...2 ambulances & a fire truck at/in the service area.
Anyway handed over my ride & let them do their stuff. My car was getting the air bag recall issue sorted also.
So they charged & tested the battery...all good. No issues they could detect with the Brant at this stage.
Car was left there overnight to check if something was causing excessive battery drain.
So Friday battery tests all good again & they spent the morning entering the code & starting the car several times until the keypad flipped & the car failed to start.
It did start once the doors were locked / unlocked & the key cycled which is exactly what I had been experiencing & it does your head in.

Anyway they replaced the keypad module & even popped around the corner to Century & had them run their diagnostics on my battery to be ultra sure it was good.
All sorted for under $200 with the WRX club member discount.

A big shout out & thank you to Paul at Subaru Glen Waverley for the top quality professional service...as always 10/10
So now I have a new clutch (thanks to Tony) & not freaking out that my car will end up a brick somewhere in the bush I'm going boost crusin' this weekend.
All41N14All

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:53 pm

And around we go again...car stuck out the front of the outlaws for 20mins Saturday.
Got it home went to check volts but got side tracked by aircon belt starting to shred itself.
Belt replaced, car started fine, ran the belt in, re-tension & left it overnight.
Next day key in, enter code, starter motor kicks then nothing, no keypad lights.
Check volts, slightly low, powerbase connection...keypad still dead.
Lock /unlock now alarm won't disable...can't even open the door without it screaming at me.
Monday comes & the car allows me to disable the alarm so I can a least I can get in / under the bonnet etc.
Powerbase connection still not kicking the keypad in.
Still alarm partially arms itself then won't fully disarm no matter what, so no putting the key in the ignition.
Fk it off to Subaru with it, rip front lip, call tow truck (TG for roadside assist) (had to disconnect the battery so the alarm was only running off its back up battery & not at full volume to unlock the steering & get it on the tray truck)
So I get a call today & apparently once they connected a powerbase the keypad lit up fine, code entered & started fine!
(wtf I tried that!)
Ok so they continue testing, full battery test. drive for 30mins to get the engine hot, leave for 5mins try restart etc...all good.
Keeping it overnight to retest everything tomorrow which I'm sure will all be fine.
I mean really is the car freakin' possessed! Why does it play ball for Subaru all the time?
Doin' my head in :wall:

Going to get a Viper installed once I get some spare cash.
All41N14All

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Shame you are not in brisbane. My guy (Subievo) will remove the unfriendly bits for around $160.. Everything still works, just dont need to put code in anymore.. Still works as an immobilizer, remote locking but none of the bad stuff.
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon

kpro
Learner Driver

Postby kpro » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Delivan would you happen to know anyone in Melbourne that would do the same? I've been considering whether or not to take mine out, however I wasn't sure if it would affect the immobiliser at all.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:49 pm

So it seems my issue was possibly not the brant after all but either a faulty crank angle sensor or maybe the fuel pump relay.
Subaru had the car for the better part of 3 days & couldn't get it to fault (intermittent faults are always a pita)
I'd been searching the net for the symptoms I was experiencing for a while & yeah most end up pointing to the brant.
The car had thrown a P0335 code (crank sensor position) a couple of times when it didn't start so I'll be swapping that out.
Also found a thread or 2 that actually pointed to either faulty fuel pump relay or keypad module fault cutting power to the fuel relay.
Mentioned it to Subaru when I picked up my car & they were like "yeah could be...we'll swap out the keypad module under warranty if it doesn't turn out to be the relay itself".
Guessing the contacts in the fuel pump relay got stuck together for a period the times the battery got low overnight & screwed up the keypad???
Fingers crossed!
All41N14All

Return to “In Car Entertainment and Alarms”