Help wiring plug for stereo

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Help wiring plug for stereo

Postby Kaoself » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:19 pm

The STi I've bought has a stereo with wires soldered in. I'd be after that being removed and an ISO plug or Subaru plug being attached so that I'm able to plug my head unit in (and change it subsequently).

Complete Options told me it would be a 1.5 hr job (I forgot to ask price) and Autobarn quoted me $100 or more and the same time. This seems far too much to me as I'm sure if I knew which wires to put where it could be done in 30 min.

Could anyone do this for me or could they recommend someone who could?

Am I being naive to think this price and time is exhorbitant for cutting some wires and attaching a plug?
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: Help wiring plug for stereo

Postby mv75 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:19 pm

I'd do it for you if you were in Brisbane. Do you want the wiring? Then again, what year car?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-OEM-S ... 58924028f8

Reverse harness plug so you have a factory plug again, then get the Subaru harness:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181796486111 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Comes with what wires goes where on the packet. Solder your pigtail iso adapter to that.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:57 pm

G'day mate
Do this DIY & save your $'s
Which model do you have?

Link below should assist
http://ae64.com/WRX-pinout.htm
Wire colour codes may be different than detailed

The Aerpro harness on ebay mv75 posted above may be in stock at your local Autobarn.
All41N14All

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Yea, should be able to get the forward harness at supercheap. The reverse harness is either wrecker or that ebay link, harder to find.

This is assuming you have no original harness as mentioned by you saying there is a radio with the wires soldered in.

Pointless to buy the harness unless you have the reverse harness. You could just wire the iso directly in I suppose, but are then limited to iso only, which isn't a total loss in the end.

The link Yeldz gave is 100% correct. Still test the wires with a multimeter and the speakers especially as well as you don't know if they (previous owners), changed any wires at the speakers themselves. EG, my front left speaker in the gc8 had to be wired - / + the opposite way according to the link because it was probably changed at the speaker. But meh, I couldn't be bothered pulling the door card, so reverse it went. :) But the wires in the 2003 are exact.

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:23 pm

If I were in Brisbane I'd take you up on the offer! 02 STi
Would it be as simple as getting the correct plug and attaching the wire colours to the appropriate place in the plug to match it's mate? Could it be that simple if the wires are colour coded? I'm assuming one gets like some little wire cap type things that will be crimped over the wire ends and just slot into the appropriate part of the plug?

Sorry I'm being a bit unspecific; I know nothing about car audio.

This is my old head unit that I'll be putting in the new car. As you can see all I did was buy a Pioneer to ISO and an ISO to Subaru Aerpro harness.

The existing unit in the STi has not been attached via any plugs or harnesses the ex owner tells me (I'm picking up the car tomorrow) . He says he soldered the wires together. But considering it now, that sounds very strange and I may have misunderstood. Perhaps he meant that he soldered an Alpine male plug onto the cars loom. In which case would I just be able to get a female Alpine to male Pioneer connector?

This will probably become clearer once I actually have a look myself.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Yep, wait to see what you're dealing with first. You may be lucky to find the original plug is there and he soldered to the wires which is what happened with mine.

If there is such a thing as an alpine to pioneer, then good, but yea, as I said you could wire up with a pigtail iso harness to the factory wires using the link yeldz gave along with the wiring diagram your radio came with.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Yeah, see what your dealing with once you have the vehicle.
Suss out what speakers are fitted, stock won't do your HU justice.
You'll need some good quality components speakers up front.

Happy to give you a hand if you need one mate.
(Mt. Waverley / Bayswater...10 mins away)
All41N14All

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Yeldz wrote:Yeah, see what your dealing with once you have the vehicle.
Suss out what speakers are fitted, stock won't do your HU justice.
You'll need some good quality components speakers up front.

Happy to give you a hand if you need one mate.
(Mt. Waverley / Bayswater...10 mins away)

Thank you so much for the offer Yeldz! :cheer:

The Alpine plug is just soldered onto the loom with some of it being a sloppy job, i.e. still some exposed solder/wire no wrap. So I'd basically just be asking for that to be removed and ISO connectors to be wired in. The Subaru connector can just get cut off my Subaru to ISO Aerpro harness.
Complete Options quoted me $60 for the job; which is much better than the $100+ people were throwing around initially when I called a couple of places. But if you're able to show me how and give me a hand that would be wonderful! I haven't soldered anything or read wiring diagrams since high school tech 20 years ago.

There are supposed to be upgraded speakers in the front, but I haven't removed the door inners to check. Behind the stereo are also cables and RCA plugs for the amps the previous owner had, and unfortunately the carpet under the front seats has had a flap sliced (I guess the amps were there?) and ground wires attached to the floor. That actually sh!ts me; cutting into things just because someone didn't want to spend the extra time and do a professional job! :chair:
There is also a 0g ish looking wire connected to the battery, but again I haven't looked where that goes except through the firewall. In behind the head unit?

Surprisingly enough the stock speakers in my WRX sounded fine with that head unit to me; but quite possibly having better speakers would make me realise how bad the factory ones were.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:38 pm

No problem lending a hand mate.
I'll pm you my number & we can work something out.
All41N14All

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:47 pm

Awesome! Thank you.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks for the help Yeldz!
About five hours of connecting new ISO plugs and removing all the extraneous wiring that was throughout the car. More time was spent on working out what all the other wires were doing, and removing other bits so that wires could be pulled out from across the transmission tunnel and under the seat rails.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

KevO-954
Fireblade/WRX Driver
Fireblade/WRX Driver

Postby KevO-954 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:08 pm

5 hours huh, amazing how a supposed 30 minute job can turn into 5 hours once you get into it. :wink: Well done to Brad for helping out another club member in strife. :bowdown:

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:42 pm

No worries re the help Mark, happy to lend a hand mate.
The wiring left behind from the previous audio setup certainly was a mess.
I reckon we pulled nearly 20m of cable out of there, maybe more (& it was dodgy af)
Getting the wiring sorted for your head unit was the easy part...
Walking into the job I didn't think we would have to remove the entire centre console, remove bolts from the front seats & pop the back seat. But hey that redundant wiring is definitely better out.

Yeah Kev I think when it comes to motor vehicles every 30min job takes at least 3 hours.
(most times it's due to either 1 bolt that won't budge or a dropped screw into the engine bay)
All41N14All

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:12 pm

I should have taken a few pics of when the centre console was out.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

Return to “In Car Entertainment and Alarms”