Installing sub and amp in sedan gd

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Installing sub and amp in sedan gd

Postby mv75 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:22 pm

So any tips on this? I'm trying to suss out the best way to mount an amp and my boxed 12" clarion that's been sitting in the front room for the last two years. I'm sort of at the trying to figure it stage as I haven't got the amp yet, but it'll be the newest 500W pioneer unit. Car is a club spec so has leather seats if that makes any diff for the rear seats.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: Installing sub and amp in sedan gd

Postby Delivan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:50 pm

I have a 12" sub in the boot.. It faces forward into the back seat. I took the seat out and cut a round hole in the sound proofing through to the boot the same size as the sub then made a large foam spacer to fill in the gap between the sub and the back of the seat so i don't get any extra road noise just doof doof straight through the seat.. Good for a massage if you sit in the middle. The amp is screwed to the back of the sub. The sti has twin 10" facing forward and 2 x 1000wt amps.. all in the boot.
This is the blue one..
This is the bug wagon.. It has the amp under drivers seat.. Being a wagon it works very well. I put mesh over it to protect it from damage by groceries etc..
My daughters bug sedan has it mounted in the boot facing forward and she usually has the middle section of the seat folded down so you can see the sub. She also has the amp screwed to the sub..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Where did you get the snatch strap? I was thinking something like that.

Also was thinking about mounting the amp up under the parcel tray, can't really see any good space though.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:53 pm

No the springs etc etc for the boot are up under there and make it a bit of a no go. The tie down is just from SCA .. They are a good way to secure them and yet be able to take them out easily. The box and amps in the sti are a 2 person job simply because of the width. It probably only weighs 35 or so KG (just guessing) ...Does the middle of your rear seat fold forward..if so that is perfect..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:10 pm

Nah, my boot lid tensioners are against the cross wall, not in the way at all. It's got space there, just sort of awkward space. There's even cut outs for speakers, but the rhs has the coil for the rear demister bang right in it.

I'll have a look at sca. I did see something mentioned about straps and putting eyelet hooks on the sub box to thread them through. Might look at that too. I'm not really keen on getting L brackets and drilling the floor.

And yea, the center of the seat folds down. I wish the whole rear seat was split fold, but ah well.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:43 pm

This is my better halfs subwoofer setup in her bugeye with amp secured to the top of the box.
2 pieces of MDF mounted on top of the box with aluminium angle brackets.
Essentially a press fit...no unwanted movement since fitted over 12 months ago.

All41N14All

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Cool, I actually spent some time today as I got a new amp yesterday, the latest model pioneer 500W, and I bought some odds and ends as well as a strap from supercheap. I've got the strap fitted, just slotted the back plates behind the seat next to the center vertical rails, and threaded it through ready to take the box once I get the sub back in and the amp mounted on the side of it. The box is a wedge shape with the sub on an angle, fits behind the seat sub forward pretty good. I've pre-drilled some mount holes for the amp on the side of the box. Re-wired the sub so both drivers are chained and should be drawing 8ohm as it's a 4ohm sub. Then is the fun, running power, speaker rca and the sense wires and putting connectors on them all.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Alright, all done. Well all done yesterday. :) Just got to tidy the cables, but anyway, first is the strap fitted;

Box through the center hole of the seat;

Box from boot view;

I ran the ground to that convenient screw hole up top there just under the edge of the boot top.

I'll probably upgrade to a ratchet strap as that cam one is real hard to get tight. Might even do short bungee cords and bolt eyelets on the sides. The amp worked out great, very easy to get to the gain control there. I mounted it on spacers so the strap fits under it. Yes the center part still closes on the seat, have to smash it a bit though to get it to latch, but it's fine. The sub itself isn't really doof doof, but just adds the bass ambience really, more of a subtle background enhancement. Definitely noticeable though, but it's not the focus. I even changed the speaker positioning to have a little rear bias in the head unit.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 am

Nice setup!
Yeah doof doof, who wants to be that guy...
All41N14All

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks man. I think it's a bit ghetto, but that box is really well shaped for this car, and the carpet matches. :) I just need to hide the cables and get a better strap. In a way it makes up for not having split fold seats, I can keep the sub in there and still have boot space and get the spare out.

Also I had that moment when I thought I had run everything and then it dawned on me, "duur, gotta run the rca's from the head unit yet dammit"! lol.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:29 pm

I wouldn't call it ghetto mate, I'd say practical.
Lolz re the rca's :giggle:
All41N14All

Return to “In Car Entertainment and Alarms”