Amp Recommendation / Speaker Spacers / Brisbane Installer?

FearNoEvo
Learner Driver

Amp Recommendation / Speaker Spacers / Brisbane Installer?

Postby FearNoEvo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:12 am

Hi All,

I am piecing together a basic audio upgrade for my 08 STi. I have a set of Focal PS165V splits to go in the front doors and am looking at a Kenwood DDX6016BT head unit. I want a 4 channel amplifier to run the splits bridged, giving me flexibility to add a sub down the track.

Some questions -

- any recommendations for a 4 channel amplifier? My budget is up to $300, not a lot I know, but I'm not chasing anything crazy, I just want a decent clean sound. So far I like the look of a Pioneer GM-D8604, Kicker KX400.4, JBL GXA604 or even a Sony XM-N1004 which is on sale at Super Cheap Auto for $170 at the moment (may be a bit cheap and nasty though?). Any other amps I should consider?

- I am aware I will need spacers for the Focal splits to fit in the front doors. I have found some spacers that will do the trick but they're in the USA and with shipping they become too expensive. Are there any Australian companies that make them? If not I can just get the installer to customise some but if there's an off the shelf item made for my model I'd rather use them to cut costs of having them fabbed.

- Any recommendations for a Brisbane Installer? I have heard plenty of horror stories re installs by JB/Autobarn, however if anyone knows of a decent installation team at a specific store somewhere in Brisbane I'd be willing to consider it. Audio Express seems to be recommended in other forums, as are Northfield, however they seem to be pricey. I know you get what you pay for though and I'm aware the best components can be ruined by a crap install without adequate sound proofing etc. How much would you expect to pay for a decent install of head unit, splits and amp?

Cheers

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Re: Amp Recommendation / Speaker Spacers / Brisbane Installer?

Postby Yeldz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Personally I wouldn't worry about the amp until you are ready for a sub.
Your head unit choice is good & combined with the focal front splits will provide great sound.

I have no recommendations for installers...
Pretty easy to DIY, ask a mate for help if you have no idea. The Aerpro harnesses make the head unit install plug n play.
Hooking up the crossovers isn't hard, just follow the instructions. Give yourself a little extra wire length so you can place the crossovers within a suitable recess behind the door card.

Quite easy to craft your own spacers, the 10-12mm thick plastic chopping boards from somewhere like Spotlight or House are my preference to use (doesn't absorb moisture like mdf does).
As you know the shipping on imported prefab spacers can make them non viable...however they will cut install time down.
All41N14All

FearNoEvo
Learner Driver

Postby FearNoEvo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:40 am

Yeldz wrote:Personally I wouldn't worry about the amp until you are ready for a sub.
Your head unit choice is good & combined with the focal front splits will provide great sound.

I have no recommendations for installers...
Pretty easy to DIY, ask a mate for help if you have no idea. The Aerpro harnesses make the head unit install plug n play.
Hooking up the crossovers isn't hard, just follow the instructions. Give yourself a little extra wire length so you can place the crossovers within a suitable recess behind the door card.

Quite easy to craft your own spacers, the 10-12mm thick plastic chopping boards from somewhere like Spotlight or House are my preference to use (doesn't absorb moisture like mdf does).
As you know the shipping on imported prefab spacers can make them non viable...however they will cut install time down.

Thanks for the reply Yeldz.

I know the Focals off the new head unit will be an upgrade on the OEM arrangement but figure surely the difference between the Focals running off 20W RMS (? Not sure what the stock radio puts out but it wouldn't be much more than 20w, surely?) of the original head unit versus, say, 300W RMS of the bridged Pioneer GM-D8604 would be huge? I know that's massive overkill headroom on the Focals but may as well run it that way til I get a sub down the track. Also, aside from the improved output, just figured that since I'll have the head unit going in and trim components removed, that would be a good time to do the amp.

Having read up a bit more I am leaning towards the Pioneer, seems to get good reviews and offers a lot of bang for its buck at about $220.

I don't know enough to confidently attempt install myself and don't really know anyone that does either so it seems I will be reliant on a pro install. Would love to hear from anyone with a Brissy recommendation if they're out there.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm Brisbane northside but also suffer the same deal as everyone else, don't know anyone as I do my own installs.

FearNoEvo
Learner Driver

Postby FearNoEvo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:33 am

Hi guys,
Just a further question. I have now installed the Kenwood DDX6016BT. I was looking at a Metra facia surround to cover the gap around the unit but have also seen info about JDM bezels which replace the whole OEM surround but have a smaller cutout which fits snugly around the aftermarket unit. This avoids the cheap looking Metra facia which still leaves gaps around the unit.
Link to the JDM style items from IAP and Avojdm;

http://www.iaperformance.com/product_in ... ts_id=3017

http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php? ... cts_id=138

Has anyone sourced these from somewhere in Australia? I have seen forums suggesting guys in the US can get them from their domestic Subaru parts dealers but upon calling Subaru Brisbane they didn't know anything about them. From what I've seen the 2011+ bezel for TomTom sat nav equipped models has the smaller cutout that SHOULD work for my application but they're $150 so I'd probably be better off going with the AVOJDM.

Return to “In Car Entertainment and Alarms”