2000 WRX Car starting issue- Brant?

gtlegacy
Learner Driver

Postby gtlegacy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 am

I've purchased a 2000 WRX that had apparently overheated and won't run, so got it cheaply.

It had been sitting for a while, so I charged the battery.

The Brant alarm is still in the car and working.

After turning the key and disarming the alarm, I can't hear the fuel pump and the engine doesn't crank over.

Tried to plug in a generic OBD scanner and it wouldn't read any codes. The local dealer has just started selling subarus, but doesn't as yet have a subaru scanner.

I've found the two green plugs under the dash, and when connected they go through their cycle of checks, e.g. can hear the radiator fans turning on.

That's as far as I have gotten. What's the next step to get the car running?

Any help appreciated!

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: 2000 WRX Car starting issue- Brant?

Postby mv75 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 am

Unplug the green ones and plug the black ones together. Turn the ignition to acc / on, just before start and look at the check engine light. Long flashes are first numbers, fast flashes are 2nd numbers. Long long long short is 31. Take notes and you may have to go through the repeating sequence a few times to make sure you got the correct ones. After that you can then match them to Subaru ssm error codes. These cars are not obd2.

It could also be a main fuse or ignition fuses. Could be the brant. Could be the fuel pump is unplugged. Could be the starter has no wire attached. Sight unseen on a new purchase, who knows.

gtlegacy
Learner Driver

Postby gtlegacy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks MV75. I should have mentioned that I can't locate the black plugs, only the green ones. (On my other subaru they are easy to find).

Thanks for the other leads.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm

The black plugs should be in the same spot as the greens. Hope you find them. My previous wrx was a 2000 gc8, it definitely has them.

Jezza
Learner Driver

Postby Jezza » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 am

Getting rid of the Brant would be a great first step. Absolute POS. The Brant was the only thing that has stopped my MY00 running. It died while I was driving along, had it removed and it was perfect again. There may be other issues but at least with it removed you can rule it out as a cause!
MY00 WRX GC8, mostly stock but the mods have started....

Return to “In Car Entertainment and Alarms”