Which Fuel

Mr Corduroy
Silver/Blue WRX Driver
Silver/Blue WRX Driver

Postby Mr Corduroy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:59 pm

Trojax wrote:V-Power racing is a different issue as cpitts says, though not quite in the way it's made as ethanol has a higher RON than refined petrol (so can't water it down, it makes octane go up).

100 Ron ethanol blends are derived from standard fuel which then is propped by the ethanol which has a pure RON around 129.. sooo assuming 1 litre fuel with 50ml ethanol @ 129 \ 1litre you've just added 29PTS\950 (100base) approximately 3 RON to a litre, so starting RON is likely around 98...

Agreed. In this way ethanol is good . . . :P

Trojax wrote:
Mr Corduroy wrote: . . . How do BP boost octane without using either aromatics or ethanol?

Bp don't boost octane, they refine it differently hence low aromatic fuel "by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds. " This is getting into complex territory for my brain though. :mrgreen:

That's the bit I'd like to know more about.

Maybe I'll go get another drink instead. :drunk:
Silver MY05 WRX & Blue MY98 WRX

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:35 pm

Trojax wrote:
100 Ron ethanol blends are derived from standard fuel which then is propped by the ethanol which has a pure RON around 129.. sooo assuming 1 litre fuel with 50ml ethanol @ 129 \ 1litre you've just added 29PTS\950 (100base) approximately 3 RON to a litre, so starting RON is likely around 98... now I don't know about you, but I'd be taking a punt V-POWER racing is standard V-POWER with the ethanol added to bump it up 2-3 pts...

A shell rep told us that ethanol was not added to up the octane, it was other refinements that made the octane go up. Seems coincidental though doesn't it? :)

MrEs
Ex-Webmaster of 4 years
Ex-Webmaster of 4 years

Postby MrEs » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:49 pm

Trojax wrote:ethanol has a higher RON than refined petrol (so can't water it down, it makes octane go up).

100 Ron ethanol blends are derived from standard fuel which then is propped by the ethanol which has a pure RON around 129.

thats what i thought too ... :!: :?:
Denis AKA 'S', powered by:
  • Adam @ Tuspeed - http://www.tuspeed.com
  • Vin & Steve @ Subaru STi Docklands
  • Ricky @ Tyrepower Essendon

debbieandherrexy

Re: Which Fuel

Postby debbieandherrexy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:55 pm

BP ultimate is very good and i would highly recommend it.... :wink:

XT1337
White XT Forester Driver
White XT Forester Driver

Re: Which Fuel

Postby XT1337 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:02 am

I dont really want to rain on all the theory, but petrol blends vary a lot around the country to account for climate.
In fact they also vary during the year.
Petrol in hotter areas is adjusted to not dissappera as fast , in cold areas so that stuff doesnt freeze out of it.It probably varies between deliveries as long as it fulfils certain specifications.
Petrol companies have been known to use each others supplies when they need to.
This variation between shipments goes a long way to explain why some people swear by one brand and claim the only time they filled up with the other it was crap. Its possibly just a local effect.
I strongly believe all petrol companies blend feed stocks to set combustion and physical characteristics. A company to claim it is "higher refined" is a PR term and really doesnt exist in chemistry. Higher refined sort of means that it has been separated into more fractions (boiling point ranges). Whch you would then blend back to get the characteristics you want.
Petrol companies spend a huge amount of money convincing you that their essentially identical products arent.

iso Octane the aliphatic compound which is given as the 100 octane standard boils at about 125 deg (not the perfect measure of volatiliy but it will do)
benzene hasa RON of 101 (yah would have to add a lot to get 92 RON petrol to get it up) and a boiling point of 80.1 deg so yes it is more volatile.

Using toluene would be much better .. 114 RON bp and BP of 110
(in fact i used to add it to a nasty car i had way back when)

However both chemicals are more valuable as chemicals in their own right so i reckon yah wouldnt waste them to burn.
They are also rather carcinogenic etc .. so putting them in petrol would be a no no.

However the theory of aromatics leaving petrol blends faster has legs (well they are called aromatics because they evaporate easy (you can smell them ie they are aroma tic)
But i really dont know if the effect would be noticeable over a week. But who knows.
I wouldnt trust my nose i would only trust a gas chromatograph.

Of course the other thing is the other additives they add in .. petrols aint just petrols, which may have more effect than the hydrocarbon blend.

I reckon its what ever rocks your boat ... buy one brand from one servo .. and get your car tuned to that if the extra 1 hp is worth the trouble. Dont buy from non branded servos' and if you get a "bad" lot of petrol dont go back as the owner is pulling shifty tricks. Buy some toluene and add a bit if you want.

guess what i did in a previous career :P
4 Toyo Proxes C1S (Reservoir Tyrepower) on a stock FOZ♦777
Never argue with a fool, from the outside people cannot tell which is which.

Return to “FAQs, Technical Archives & Most Common Issues”