Ticking Sound on Boost

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:57 pm

I'll try and remember to take a pic of mine for you. Mine's mounted near to the stock boost solenoid.

You could try this as a test to see if it's indeed the AVCR solenoid that's making the noise (I think it will be). If you drive along and just load the car up to show about 0.15bar of boost, then you should start hearing the rattle noise. At least on mine, it starts going off at 0.15 and up. If you do it up a slight hill, the speed won't build up on you too much. Just use slight throttle. And then if you lift off, the noise will disappear.

Danco
WRX STi Driver

Postby Danco » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:02 am

Ok thanks,
Nah mine doesnt seem to kick in until boost builds upto about 0.8bar. When i have the AVC-R off, it sits on 0.5bar and no ticking. Its only when i turn it up that i hear the ticking.
- Daniel -
Currently Rexless

closed deck
WRX STi Driver

Postby closed deck » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:37 am

Please make sure its not detonation.If you think its could be the boost controller then simply cover it with some rags nice and tight go for a spin and see if the noise is muffled.(very hitech testing method) but it works.
Long Standing Club Supporter.

Danco
WRX STi Driver

Postby Danco » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:44 am

Lol. I will try that, but as ive said im not sure once i pop that bonnet what the solenoid looks like to try covering it and see if it is that. If it does happen to be detonation, how do i find that out? Needa take it to mechanic to check on that would i?
- Daniel -
Currently Rexless

05-RSX
S204 Driver

Postby 05-RSX » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:41 am

Google image search for "WRX Boost solenoid":
:roll:

Failing that, just take it to URD
Campbell.
Team Wagon.

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:32 pm

Danco wrote:Ok thanks,
Nah mine doesnt seem to kick in until boost builds upto about 0.8bar. When i have the AVC-R off, it sits on 0.5bar and no ticking. Its only when i turn it up that i hear the ticking.

That could be due to the way you have it set up. I'll be back in Oz by the weekend, so I'll definately take some pics this time.

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:00 am

Finally!

Here's the pic of mine. Sorry for the bad quality.

Driver side strut tower is in the top of the pic. Bottom of the pic shows the APS CAI. The stock boost controller is mounted on the driver side strut tower so your Apexi one will be around there somewhere. It has Apexi Boost Control valve written on the top of it.

Danco
WRX STi Driver

Postby Danco » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:59 am

Cheers mate, that one looks like mine :thumbs: Just needa figure out taking it off to clean it :? Yes im a bit of a noob so thanks for the pics :P
- Daniel -
Currently Rexless

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:58 am

Cleaning it won't fix the ticking noise. You need to mount it on some rubber insulation. I tried it but it made little diff on mine. Once day I'll have another go :)

Danco
WRX STi Driver

Postby Danco » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Ok ill give that a go. Last time i looked at that (before i was certain it was the solenoid) i made sure it was securely attached to the strut tower (which it is) but it hasn't got any rubber between it. I'll find some rubber and pop it in there when i get a chance. Hopefully it at least makes it a lil quieter :thumbs:
- Daniel -
Currently Rexless

Random Dude
Forum Over-Moderator
Forum Over-Moderator

Postby Random Dude » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Worthy of a FAQ. Thanks guys :)
Brenton

floopyb
Club Spec Evo 3 Driver
Club Spec Evo 3 Driver

Postby floopyb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:43 am

i got the ticking when I got my AVCR installed.
Perhaps another test would be to set the AVCR to display solenoid duty then if the ticking come exactly when the display says the solenoid duty is high you know its the ACVR. :)

Return to “FAQs, Technical Archives & Most Common Issues”