Turbo timers & Engine cooldowns

Lupin
S204 Driver

Postby Lupin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:31 pm

That 30-40 seconds mine runs for is about all the charge the battery gets sometimes :lol:

Full auto TT FTW
Mr June 2014 Mr May 2015

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 pm

[WRXTC] wrote:i allow my car to run at idle untill it is at running temp b4 i drive it, and allow to idle for atleast 1 minute after every drive more if i was fanging it.

well thats completely unnecessary.

get in, turn the car on, and drive off. just take it easy with the right foot till its up to temp.

its a car, not a spaceship
i am what willis was talking about.

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:22 pm

ro88i wrote:is it possible to install a TT on a my04 wrx with keypad alarm, if so can u point us in da right direction, thanks

There are 3 problems with fitting a TT in a MY02 and up. First problem is that once the car is running on TT and you remove your key, the car will turn off. This is fairly simple to get around. I have instruction for that if you want it.

The second problem is the anti hijack. Unless it's disabled, it will turn your car off before the TT can (if TT is set for 1 min). You can turn antihijack off, I can tell you how to do that. There may be a way of "stalling" the antihijack if running of TT.

The third problem is that if the car is running on TT, you can't remotely lock the doors and arm the alarm. I don't have any knowledge on how to get around it but some members from here have had it done by an Autobarn somewhere. Hopefully a search will turn up the details for you.

If you do want a TT and can't get around the brant alarm issue, remove the brant alarm (you can keep the keypad though) and install a TT friendly alarm such as the Mongoose.

[WRXTC]
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby [WRXTC] » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:21 pm

GT-spec15 wrote:
[WRXTC] wrote:i allow my car to run at idle untill it is at running temp b4 i drive it, and allow to idle for atleast 1 minute after every drive more if i was fanging it.

well thats completely unnecessary.

get in, turn the car on, and drive off. just take it easy with the right foot till its up to temp.

its a car, not a spaceship

yeah i no you can take it easy....but i prefer to warm it up as it is much better for the car.....70% of engine wear is in the warm up.....i minimise that by warming it up on the odd ocasion when i have started it and driven off i find the auto does not shift as smooth untill its warmed up as well as fk all brakes untill its warmed up
(99 WRX)
(04 WRX STi)
(06 Liberty GT Spec B)

WRX STi

Tein Coilovers
Blouch TD05(24psi)
3" TBE
ID 1000cc Injecs
Walbro Fuel Pump
PSR Intake
PSR Headers
HD Clutch
HP-F Tune + E85 + Launch Control

T-Rex
MY04 WRX Driver
MY04 WRX Driver

Postby T-Rex » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:11 am

I got pulled up by some Melb police in pursuit (candy) cars in Swan Hill tonight, they told me i should have a turbo timer or my turbo will break lol. They actually told me to get one! Thats so funny! I asked "aren't they illegal?" and he replied "why would they be illegal, they protect your motor" well it was funny to me anyway!

Oh and also they noticed i had lots of AVO gear, they could pick it! (AVO on the pod would have helped) They didn't seem too concerned with the plethora of mods i have because they said AVO have kits that are ADR approved :thumbs:
Full Race wrote:A smaller a/r has less efficiency at low flow and higher efficiency at high flow. A larger a/r has more efficiency at low flow and less efficiency at high flow

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:04 pm

[WRXTC] wrote:yeah i no you can take it easy....but i prefer to warm it up as it is much better for the car.....70% of engine wear is in the warm up.....i minimise that by warming it up on the odd ocasion when i have started it and driven off i find the auto does not shift as smooth untill its warmed up as well as fk all brakes untill its warmed up

actually, letting your car sit there idling for minutes on end when stone cold isnt the best way to warm it up.

the best way to warm it up is to drive off from startup, and take it easy till its up to temp.

again..its a modern car. its designed to be started and driven off. having a turbo doesnt suddenly make it a delicate thing in need of hugs and kisses each time you fire it up

[WRXTC]
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby [WRXTC] » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 am

GT-spec15 wrote:
[WRXTC] wrote:yeah i no you can take it easy....but i prefer to warm it up as it is much better for the car.....70% of engine wear is in the warm up.....i minimise that by warming it up on the odd ocasion when i have started it and driven off i find the auto does not shift as smooth untill its warmed up as well as fk all brakes untill its warmed up

actually, letting your car sit there idling for minutes on end when stone cold isnt the best way to warm it up.

the best way to warm it up is to drive off from startup, and take it easy till its up to temp.

again..its a modern car. its designed to be started and driven off. having a turbo doesnt suddenly make it a delicate thing in need of hugs and kisses each time you fire it up

why isnt letting it idle for a few minutes the best way to warm it up? Is this damaging or something?.......

yes i know its a modern car, doesnt matter what kind of car you have the better you treat it the better it is for the car and therfore usually increased reliability. I suppose its owners choice really.
(99 WRX)
(04 WRX STi)
(06 Liberty GT Spec B)

WRX STi

Tein Coilovers
Blouch TD05(24psi)
3" TBE
ID 1000cc Injecs
Walbro Fuel Pump
PSR Intake
PSR Headers
HD Clutch

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:54 pm

its just unnecessary!

start the bloody thing, drive off and let it warm up properly while under a bit of load.

and this warms everything up. sitting idling does nothing for the gearbox/diff etc

chriskan
Black Liberty GT Driver
Black Liberty GT Driver

Postby chriskan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 pm

I was doing the warm up thing with the lib, left it to sit there idling for about 3mins.. and found it had an adverse effect on the way it drove straight off, as opposed to starting up, letting the oil run around for about a minute and then driving off. my opinion based on this was:

1) unnecessary heatsoak into the cooler
2) modern day synthetics get upto temp fairly quickly
3) modern day engine/turbo designs factor in people who just don't bother warming up either.

I usually give it about a minute anyway from cold start while I put the sunnies on and select some tunes on the ipod..

Regarding the Turbo Timer, I also heard it was unnecessary due to the water cooled turbo's now. I generally just take it easy for the last minute/minute and half of driving anyway and leave the engine running about for about 20-30 seconds whilst I put away the glasses, turn the BT handsfree off :)
Last edited by chriskan on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BUGEYE
Impreza RS Driver

Postby BUGEYE » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 pm

GT-spec15 wrote:its just unnecessary!

start the bloody thing, drive off and let it warm up properly while under a bit of load.

and this warms everything up. sitting idling does nothing for the gearbox/diff etc

+1

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:33 pm

chriskan - spot on with everything.

modern metallurgy and oil technology means a car can be started and driven off. its DESIGNED to be run this way.

sitting idling does nothing of benefit, and in your experience, quite the opposite

[WRXTC]
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby [WRXTC] » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:48 pm

GT-spec15 wrote:its just unnecessary!

hehe fair enuff, yeah im aware that the idling only warms up the engine, so again the first few minutes of driving i take it easy to allow it all to warm up. But then as i said everyone is different.
(99 WRX)
(04 WRX STi)
(06 Liberty GT Spec B)

WRX STi

Tein Coilovers
Blouch TD05(24psi)
3" TBE
ID 1000cc Injecs
Walbro Fuel Pump
PSR Intake
PSR Headers
HD Clutch

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:18 am

thats cool, theres no laws against it

but unnecessary is unecessary

scoobyrex
Blue MY06 WRX Driver
Blue MY06 WRX Driver

Postby scoobyrex » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:35 am

GT-spec15 wrote:but unnecessary is unecessary

And this is why :)

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s2044311.htm

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 am

bingo!

scoobyrex
Blue MY06 WRX Driver
Blue MY06 WRX Driver

Postby scoobyrex » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 am

Still not convinced :?: :wall:

Here's further evidence :giggle:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/WRXInfo.pdf

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:57 am

i recalled there being some adverse affects of idling from cold...but didnt want to recall bits n pieces incorrectly

thats all good info...and proof of it being folly.

love that second link! never thought about the cooling system working in such a way post-shutdown

seeing turbo timers in action at suburban shopping centres makes me laugh.

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:02 pm

GT-spec15 wrote:
love that second link! never thought about the cooling system working in such a way post-shutdown

hahahahahah everything on the internet is true :lol:

GT-spec15
WRP10 Driver
WRP10 Driver

Postby GT-spec15 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:11 pm

superfly wrote:
GT-spec15 wrote:

well is there any truth to it?

i am not taking it as gospel

first like re: cold idling makes sense

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:11 am

GT-spec15 wrote:
superfly wrote:

well is there any truth to it?

i am not taking it as gospel

first like re: cold idling makes sense

Dunno. I'm not trying to disproof things. It's his car, let him do what he thinks is right. Give him your opinion and let him make up his own mind.

GT-spec15 wrote:seeing turbo timers in action at suburban shopping centres makes me laugh.

What you laugh for the 1 minute it may be running?

Laughing at crappy rims, stickers, big exhausts etc actually last longer as they don't 'disappear' after a minute :lol:

Return to “FAQs, Technical Archives & Most Common Issues”