THE LEGAL MODIFICATION AND CANARY HUNTING THREAD/FAQ.

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver
Location: That magic spot between 2200 and 2500rpm where the boost really starts to fire!!!

THE LEGAL MODIFICATION AND CANARY HUNTING THREAD/FAQ.

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:08 am

After taking so much from these forums I wanted to make a thread that will hopefully get plenty of use and give a little back. OK HERE WE GO, THE THREAD IS UP AND PUMPING. THIS ENDED UP TAKING ME FAR FAR LONGER THAN I ANTICIPATED BUT WILL HOPEFULLY BE USEFUL ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE.

THE LEGAL MODIFICATION AND CANARY HUNTING THREAD.

Anyone who has been active on these forums for more than a few days will know that one of the many of the most frequently repeated questions that appear on these forums are regarding the modification of vehicles, and the defects that those who do not do it properly inevitably receive.

This thread is designed as an FAQ regarding the most common modifications, as well as a compilation of the best threads regarding each so as to hopefully cut down on the flood of these question that the long term member answer every month.

NOTE: This thread is not designed to explain HOW to modify, nor is it designed to recommend WHO or WHAT should be involved in such a process. This thread is simply designed to help keep you all out of trouble. :wink: .

Thanks

A quick thanks must be said for those who have contributed to this thread through their research and knowledge:

cpitts
psyninja

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS THREAD MAY BE COPIED PROVIDING THAT ANY SUCH REPRODUCTION GIVES FULL CREDIT TO THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR AND ALONG WITH ALL CONTRIBUTORS

CONTENTS:

PERFORMANCE

1) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . INTRODUCTION
2) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EXHAUSTS
3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BOV'S AND WASTEGATES
4) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHEELS AND TYRES
5) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SUSPENSION
6) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ECU/MANAGEMENT
7) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ENGINE CONVERSION/NITROUS AND OTHER DUMB STUFF.

INTERIOR

8 ). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SEATS AND HARNESSES/
9) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . GAUGES AND METERS
10) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . STEREO COMPONENTS

EXTERIOR

11) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . TINTS
12) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LIGHTS
13) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PROTRUSIONS
14) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CANARY HUNTING AND WHY NOT TO DO IT.

Finally, before we get into the meat of the thread, there are two people you should meet who will be guiding us all along the merry path to trouble-free mods:

1) Mr. VicRoads:

Yes, he's a geek, a pain in the ass and picky down to the last washer and rivet... but he writes the rules and they are enforced by guys with guns, so when he speaks you better listen.

2) The God of Mod

If Mr VicRoads enforces the written rules, this guy enforces the unwritten ones. His purpose is to stop you from doing things which will make you look like the kind of guy who gives everyone a bad name (like spinnners on a civic). He enacts Murphy's Law on any who dare Mod a road car.

I AM DESPERATELY SEEKING SUBMISSION FOR THE BEST OF THREADS SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS.
Last edited by GhostDriver on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .
MODS: Full Hi-Tech Turbo-Back Exhaust System, K&N Cold Air Induction.
UP NEXT: STEREO COMPONENTS, AVCR/, KNOCKLINK and RIMS.

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver
Location: That magic spot between 2200 and 2500rpm where the boost really starts to fire!!!

Re: The Legal Modifcation and Canary Hunting Thread! [W.I.P]

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:09 am

LEGAL MODIFICATION

1). INTRODUCTION

We will start with the most basic and general stuff:

A modification is ANY alteration or replacement of a cars original components which alters that car from the state in which it left the factory. The exception to this is that OEM parts, used on the vehicle that they are designed for are not (usually) considered to be modifications and will not have any bearing on legality or insurance.

FAQ.

Q. I have recently done/bought *insert procedure/part here* is this a modification?
A. Assuming that you have replaced a part with a non-standard part, Yes.

Q. Really?
A. YES!

Q. But what if I only change the rear muffler?
A. Still yes, but you have a better shot at getting it past your insurance company no hassles.

Q. Do I need an engineer’s certificate?
A. Most of the more basic modifications (exhaust, springs, wheel and tints etc) will fall into the category of "approved modifications", which are basically simple mods that are pre-approved by vic roads. If you are planning substantial work, it is probably best to pick up the phone and check.

Approved modifications include (when performed legally) [thanks to cpitts for extending and improving this section]:

Air filters
-> beware noise emissions issues (excess turbo suction/induction noise can push you over the noise emissions ADR)
-> Pods must be SECURED but DON'T need to be covered (at least in VIC anyway)

Brake Pads and Fluid (FLUID and PADS ONLY!!)
-> Surely rotors (a standard service item) as well?

Wheels and Tyres (within certain size ranges)
-> You can EASILY breach VICROADS/Canary check by having a LOAD RATING lower than that for your car (check the tyre placard)

Lowering/Raising Suspension
-> So long as you don't go below 100mm (10cm or 4 inches) clearance for the LOWEST hanging point (anywhere) of the car.

Things which are definitely NOT pre-approved include:

- Any modification of suspension, steering or differentials.
- Any modification of brakes (besides those listed above)
- Any modification that affects safety equipment (seatbelts and airbags)
- Engine conversions.

Q. Who will insure me?
A. If you are high-risk or modified (or both), a good bet would be to start with JustCar. If you are 25+ Shannons may or may not want to be involved with you.

Q. Will you do my homework for me if I post a new thread?
A. No. But if you are genuinely stuck, the forum members will try their hardest to help you out.

Q. Is this legal?
A. Well, you have come to the right place. Read on to find out more....

Mr VicRoads wrote:
In addition to the above listed pre-approved modifications, modifications will not require an approval certificate if:

1) They do not adversely affect the structural integrity of the vehicle, its handing characteristics or its compliance with relevant standards for registration.

and/or

2) Equipment or accessories are used, that are equivalent in quality, performance and safety to those fitted to the vehicle or supplied or recommended by the vehicle manufacturer as original accessories.

Equipment or accessories equivalent

Although pre-approved modifications are strange and wonderful things, beware: Each pre-approved modification comes with a strict set of guidelines regarding what the final result of such a modification may (and more commonly) may not be, so check with vic roads, or search online. Start here: [url]

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonl ... 0/VSI8.pdf
Last edited by GhostDriver on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE YET!

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:19 am

2). EXHAUSTS

INTRODUCTION

Exhaust system modifications are regulated under VSI8 (Vehicle Standards Information Document 8 Section 12) which be found here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

Along with with EPA document 1031, section 11 which can be found here:

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf

Exhaust systems are the most common performance modification made to the WRX (and why not? They sound great!) , they are also capable of drawing the most amount of unwanted attention. They can be as simple as a rear muffler, or as complex as a complete turbo back system including extractors, a resonator, catalytic converters (important), mufflers, up pipes and dump pipes.

God of Mod wrote: Thou shalt not install an illegal aftermarket exhaust and expect to go unnoticed, as it is written that to do so will make one loud and conspicuous.

An aftermarket exhaust can get the driver of the vehicle to which it is attached into trouble in two ways:

1) By emitting excessive noise, causing the driver to get fined (and defected) for noise pollution.

or

2) By emitting excessive pollution, causing the driver to be fined (and defected) by the EPA (expensive).

So here is what you have to do to stay legal:

Mr VicRoads wrote:
Modified exhaust systems are permitted as long as they satisfy the following requirements:

- The exhaust outlet must not protrude beyond the perimeter of the vehicle.

- If mounted to the rear, the system must not discharge at an angle of more than 10 degrees above or 45 degrees below horizontal.

- The exhaust system (regardless of functionality) must not be mounted so as to cause a hazards situation from hot surfaces or projections.

- The exhaust system must not place the vehicle in violation of ground clearance requirements (100mm).

- The exhaust gases running through the sytem may only leave the system through the exhaust outlet.

In addition to this, the exhaust system must comply with the EPA's standards regarding noise and pollution emission, which are laid out in ADR 83/00 (found here: http://www.ntc.gov.au/DocView.aspx?page ... 1400850020).

FAQ

Q. So... How loud can it be?
A. Although exactly which category the WRX falls into under ADR's is up for contestation, generally speaking the car should not exceed 78-80db when the stock system is fitted. Once modified the system may be louder, producing up to (but not exceeding) 90db when tested at approximately 4000rpm (PUB1031, Section 10).

Q. What about a cannon?
A. Cannon exhausts sound fantastic and can give some people the image they want. They will also rarely come in under 90db and will draw untold amounts of negative attention. In short, if you want a cannon be prepared to be hassled.

Q. I have heard that having an aftermarket exhaust without a cat will make me go faster, is this true?
A. Yes.

Q. So I should get one then?
A. No no NO!. While it is well known that the cat will be the most restrictive element in an exhaust system running without one is going to get you and the people who made/installed your system in trouble. Although you may think that you will not get caught, a car without a cat is not all that hard to spot when it is being driven and if you do the fines are heavy (they can go in excess of $10,000.00). You've been warned.

Q. What do I have to do to keep the emissions from my aftermarket exhaust legal?
A. The exact requirements of aftermarket exhausts' catalytic converters has been a bit of a hot topic here in the past, however the best answer so far is (big thanks to Cpitts and Teh PsyNinja for this contribution :cheer: ):

cpitts wrote:I pushed VICROADS for clarification on the important point of CAT placement in an aftermarket exhaust and the best they could come up with is:
"There's no specific mention of placement or number in relation to the OEM provided exhaust"
"Your best bet is to get an engineer to sign it off"

On the flip side, the ADR's (once again) pretty much say that replacing the OEM exhaust stuffs the emissions system setup from the factory and hence you're stuffed. The consensus seems to be:
- Same # of CATS as the factory system
- Same placement of CATS as the factory system

Following on from this, psyninja added.
psyninja wrote:This is direct from the EPA Prosecution Unit with regard to after market exhausts:
and the finale.
cpitts wrote:Spot on! But these tests are pretty much NEVER done due to cost. Also they are done in conjunction with more significant 'kit' setups. The result is the paper is pointless unless a 'kit' solution is fitted that includes the mentioned exhaust.

eg: APS exhaust is not ADR approved on it's own. With an APS kit it is though. It does meet EPA noise requirements though, but so do many others. Fine lines, as always.

05WRX has 2 cats - you can get away with one cat if you can prove that the emissions have not been affected. This will require full ADR compliance test. If you can get this in writing when you purchase the exhuast you are fine. (ie the seller has tested their product in the past with your model WRX and its complied) They don't need to test your car individually but should provide you evidence of compliance in writing - this will help if you get sent for an EPA test if you have the paperwork to back you up provided you get it in writing - anything less is not acceptable to the EPA. Same rule applies to all WRX's.

Q. I saw *insert brand here* advertising an exhaust which uses a small flange and electric motor to reduce exhaust noise at the flick of a switch, this will keep me out of trouble right?
A. Wrong. This is also illegal under the EPA's guide for modified vehicles (Publication 1031, 2006)

Q. A guy told me I should get a "screamer pipe" what are they and where do I get one?
A. A screamer pipe is a short bit or sharp cut pipe running from the turbo straight into the air, they are excessively loud and will get you a major defect notice and a stamp on your forehead that says "HOON". As for where to get one... uhhhh...... no.

Q. Where can I go to get a street-legal exhaust?
A. There are a few companies who produce high quality performance exhausts which will keep you street legal. If you want to go Australian made, you can't beat Hi-Tech.

BEST OF THREADS

http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50919
Last edited by GhostDriver on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:19 am

3). BLOW-OFF VALVES/WASTEGATES

INTRODUCTION

BOV's and waste gates are regulated under EPA Document 1031 Section 4, which can be found here:

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf

A blow-off valve is a turbo protection device which is necessary for turbo longevity and operation. Despite its useful nature however, the humble BOV has become one of the most hated and canary targetted devices on the road. Generally speaking there are 3 kinds of BOV available:

1) Plumb Back BOV: These are aimed at providing the best possible performance to daily drivers and people who are concerned about breaking the law. They operate by sending gasses back into the car's intake so as to limit noise and provide high driveability.

2) Atmosphere Vented BOV ("Pop Off Valve"): These are the stigmatized louder variety of BOV. Thought they perform the same function, they vent gasses directly into the air, producing the trademark "whoosh" sound that everyone associates with BOV's. Many modern BOV's are progressively adjustable between plumb-back and venting to allow user-customisability as to how much noise the item will produce while driving. Illegal under EPA document 1031, 2006.

3) Atmosphere Venting Wastegates: Loud and illegal (under EPA legislation), the wastegate is the A-Bomb in a hoon's arsenal of ways to get the police to hate them. Unless you have time and money to spend arguing with police, these are generally a bad idea.

Essentially, if you want to stay legal; plumb-back is your only option.

FAQ

Q. Can I get that whoosh sound and still be legal?
A. No. Although a resanotrectomy will give you a very quiet version of that sound from the standard BOV.

Q. Are adjustable BOV's legal?
A. Yes. This is a grey area at the moment as they are neither specifically legal or illegal under EPA law. However prepare for this to change in the near future.

Q. I saw a "sleeper" BOV in *insert 4-cylinder mag here* and they said the cops won't notice, so can't I get one of those?
A. You can, but remember cops who go looking for defects probably spend more time with thier noses under the bonnet of cars like yours than you do. As much as we would like to believe it they aren't all stupid.

BEST OF THREADS
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:20 am

4). WHEELS AND TYRES

INTRODUCTION

Modification to wheel sizes and fitments are covered under VSI8, Section 8. This can be found here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

Wheels selection can be a tricky subject due to the large number of regulations regarding wheel diameter and width.

Any road-legal (ie: non-slick) tyre may be used, so long as the use of such a tyre does not cause the wheel/tyre to be larger that the maximum allowable dimensions.

FAQ

Q. How big can my wheels be?
A. No more than 15mm larger or smaller (including tyres) than the maximum/minimum width wheel/tyre combination recommended for vehicles of that series by the manufacturer.

Q. How wide?
A. Standard width +/-25mm

Q. Can I use rims smaller than stock?
A. Yes, but they may not be any narrower than stock, and only 15mm diameter smaller.

Q. Are *insert tyre name/brand here* legal for road use?
A. If they are so borderline you have to ask, then probably not. You best bet here is to talk to your tyre retailer.

Q. Am I going to get caught?
A. Defect notices and fine for wheel fitment violations are rare, but not unheard of. A good rule is to not take the risk, unless you can afford the fines.

Q. What about spinners? I needz MOAR chrome!
God of Mod wrote:A. THOU SHALT NOT USE SPINNERS! Unless thou is a gangster rapper.

Anyhow no matter how much you want them they are illegal and very conspicuous.

BEST OF THREADS

http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51383

http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49667
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:20 am

5). SUSPENSION (AND LOWERING)

INTRODUCTION

Suspension and lowering of vehicles is covered under Vehicle Standards Information document 8, Sections 4,5 and 6. This can be found on the vic roads website or here:

Suspension is a tricky area of modification. Generally speaking, major suspension work requires an approval certificate, but minor work and peripherals usually do not. Raising or lowering does not require any special permission (so long as the relationship between the height at the rear and the height at the front is unaffected)

FAQ

Q. So how low can I go?
A. The lowest point on your vehicle may NOT be less than 100mm from the ground. In addition to this if you are lowering a vehicle on its original suspension, the distance between a suspension component and its bump stop may not be reduced to less than 2/3 it's original length.

Q. Can I use lowering blocks to do this?
A. Yes, but they must be made of steel or aluminum.

Q. Can I use an extendable shackle system to raise my ride height?
A. Yes, but it is illegal and stupid.

Q. Can I cut my springs to get them to the length I want?
A. NO! Just don't do that, it's bad.

Q. Can I use torsion bars / sway bars / stabilizer bars etc?
A. Yes, so long as they do not cause the lowest part of the vehicle to go below 100mm. (VSI8, Sec 3.1)

Q. Can I use an air-ride or hydraulic suspension set up?
A. *sigh* If you MUST do this, you are going to need an engineers certificate.

BEST OF THREADS
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:22 am

6). ECU / MANAGEMENT / ACCESSORIES

INTRODUCTION

Boost Controllers: Are illegal under EPA document 1031, section 1.

EPA wrote: Variable turbocharger boost valves ('boost controllers') are or other means of altering boost levels are not permitted unless part of the original manufacturers fitment.

Turbo Timers: Are known to get defects, although no one on this forum has been able to figure out why as of yet. However you can get defected.

UPDATE: After a furious debate in this thread and others it has been confirmed that unless the vehicle is actually operating on a turbo timer and left unattended that no offence is being commited. Despite this conclusion Police are still handing out defects. So you know how to defend yourself next time, here is the relevant legislation:

Mr VicRoads wrote:213. Making a motor vehicle secure
(1) This rule applies to the driver of a motor vehicle who stops and leaves the
vehicle on a road (except to pay a fee for parking the vehicle) so the driver is
over 3 metres from the closest part of the vehicle if there is nobody 16 years
old, or older, in the vehicle.
Note Motor vehicle is defined in the Road Safety Act 1986.
(2) Before leaving the motor vehicle, the driver must comply with this rule.
Penalty: 2 penalty units.
(3) The driver must—
(a) switch off the engine; and
(b) apply the parking brake effectively or, if weather conditions (for
example, snow) would prevent the effective operation of the parking
brake, effectively restrain the motor vehicle’s movement in another way.
(4) If there is nobody in the motor vehicle, the driver must—
(a) remove the ignition key; and
(b) if the doors of the vehicle can be locked—lock the doors.

So far as anyone can tell, there is nothing here which cannot be done with a turbo timer installed (particularly when you consider that you can turn it off) only things which a person may CHOOSE not to do. Therefore turbo timers are not illegal so far as we can all decipher. Any new developments will be added ASAP.

FAQ

Q. WTF, why do turbo timers get defects if they are legal?
A. Your guess is as good as mine.

BEST OF THREADS

http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51104
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:22 am

7). ENGINE CONVERSIONS, NITROUS OXIDE AND OTHER STUPID THINGS THAT YOU SHOULDN'T DO

INTRODUCTION

Engine swaps and replacements are covered under VSI8, S3.2 (Vehicle Standards Information document 8, section 3.2) which can be found here:

No matter how good a car is, there is always some fool who will try to make it better. When this happens the engine is usually the first thing to go. There are 2 ways in which an engine conversion can be legal:

Mr VicRoads wrote:1) The engine is of the same model, type, and capacity as the OEM fitment.

2) The engine to be used was offered as an option for that vehicle, and the swap is carried out in full compliance.

What this means exactly is up for interpretation, but if you try to put a 22b engine into your Impreza RX I am sure no one will consider it as an "option". So behave yourself.

Although some Australian states allow nitrous oxide systems to be installed, but not connected on street cars, Victoria is not one of them (Illegal under Vehicle Standards Sheet 26)... So just don't do it. Ever.

FAQ

Q. So I can make my Sti engine swap then?
A. There is a good chance you will get away with it, as the engine is both the same type (more or less) and option (uh sort of) for your WRX. I will be in contact with vic roads to confirm this.

Q. But the guys in the Fast and the Furious have NOS?
A. Yes, but that was in LA, and they were illegal street racers. You not in LA and your if in this thread, your looking for legal modifications - so no you can't and deal with it.

BEST OF THREADS
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:23 am

8). SEATS AND RACING HARNESSES

INTRODUCTION

Additional or replacement seats being fitted to a vehicle are regulated under VSI19, 2000 (Vehicle Standards Information Document No.19), which can be viewed on the vic roads website here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonl ... /VSI19.pdf

Replacing seats can be fun and make you look cool, but it should also be taken seriously, as failure to ensure that there is sufficient structural stability could result in you going through the windscreen of your car in the event of a crash (possibly securely attached to your nice new seat).

The regulations essentially state that any replacement seat must comply with ADR's and have an appropriate engineers certificate to state that it does.

FAQ

Q. Are *insert brand here* seats ADR approved?
A. Best bet is to ask someone who provides engineer certificates, or the manufacturer.

Q. Can I use a racing harness?
cpitts wrote:A.
Harnesses aren't illegal to have in the car, nor use.
If you use a harness, you must ALSO use the standard lap/sash belt. It's illegal to drive without a lap/sash belt on. :? Coz it's Sooooo much safer than a 5 point harness. :?

BEST OF THREADS
Last edited by GhostDriver on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:23 am

9). GAUGES AND METERS

INTRODUCTION

Internally Mounted:

Internally mounted gauges are permitted providing that:

1) They do not interfere with operation of the vehicle.
2) They are not mounted to the vehicles A pillar.
3) They are not mounted in a way which makes them protrude above the normall line of the vehicles standard dashboard.

Externally mounted gauges are covered in VSI8 (Vehicle Standards Information Document 8, Section 15) which can be found here:

Mr VicRoads wrote:Gauges may be mounted externally, forward of the windscreen, in a position visible to the driver providing that they meet the following protrusion and visibility requirements:

- The gauges, mounts and brackets must be suitably smooth and radiused so as not to increase the risk of injury to a person.

- The surface of the gauge visible to the driver must not be more reflective than the general bodywork.

- If the gauges have instrument lighting it must not be more intense than the vehicles dashboard lighting.

- The position of the gauges must not prevent the driver from having an uninteruppted view of the road 11m forward of the steering wheel, in any possible adjustment of the drivers seat.

- Any non-electronic gauges must have appropriately rated, and suitably routed lines for the pressure involved. Braided lines are recommended.

FAQ

Q. So can I have my 7 inch tacho mounted on the dash?
A. No.

Q. According to the VicRoads quote police can adjust the seat to a lying down position and the blame my gauges for low visibility, how to I get around this?
A. Well, technically yes however you would have a good chance at winning the court case because they would just be abusing the wording of the legislation. If you are really stubborn you could just weld your seat in place.

BEST OF THREADS
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:24 am

10). STEREO COMPONENTS

INTRODUCTION

Stereo components are a common and generally trouble free modification. It is pretty hard to get yourself into trouble with stereo components unless they happen to be turned up beyond the legal limit at the time you are pulled over.

Two things that may get you into the bad books and therefore should probably be remembered are:

1) Installations may not protrude above the factory height of the dash board (this may become an issue when installing tweeters.

2) Any visual component (aka: screens) may not be operating/operable while the car is in motion if they are visible from the drivers seat.

In addition to this, a stereo may manage to get you in trouble regardless of noise level, if the noise is deemed to be "unreasonable", which usuallr require early morning doof doof down quiet suburban streets.

FAQ

Q. So I can have my doof doof?
A. Yeah, so long as you don't over-do it.
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby GhostDriver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:38 am

11). WINDOW TINT

INTRODUCTION

Window Tinting is regulated by VSI2, released by vic roads in January 2000.

[quote= "Mr VicRoads"]Safe driving requires the driver to have the best possible view of the road and of other road users. Any reduction in visibility, particularly in poor light conditions such as twilight or wet weather will lead to a reduction in safety.
[/quote]

Under this logic, vic roads enforces a law that all vehicles produced after 1971 must not have tint that allows less that 75% of light to be transmitted in the primary vision area of the front windscreen. You are however allowed to have a band darker than 75% up to 65mm deep at the top half of the windscreen.

Beyond this, you can have tint that allows as little as 35% of transmitted light on side and rear windows. Though it is "desirable" according to vic roads to maintain the 75% on all windows.

FAQ

Q. What happens if I decide I want darker tint?
A. Besides impeding your own ability to drive safely, you will subject yourself to fines and defects. However perhaps more serious still you may void your insurance in the event that visibility is considered to be a contributing factor in the accident.

Q. Where can I go to get myself a nice legal tint?
A. Rob Tait (screen name: tinter) is a forum recommended tinter who will be happy to help I'm sure.

BEST OF THREADS

http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44321

http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31256
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

12). LIGHTING

INTRODUCTION

Is regulated under VSI10 July 1996 (Vehicle Standards Information Document 10) available here on the vic roads website:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/99931A9A-6DD7-4CDA-8C84-92B6622B47E4/0/VSI10.pdf

It is an excessively complicated and almost impossible to decipher document which runs for a mere 83 pages.

Without going into too much detail though:

- A car may have no more than 3 pair of forward visibility lights (aka: headlights) including the original fitment.

- Manufacturer fitted lamps may not be removed, unless replaced with an equivalent.

- Additional flashing lights beyond the indicator and hazard lights are not permitted under any circumstances.

- Pairs of additional lights should be mounted symmetrically

- High mounted rear braking light is mandatory and may not be removed (eg: during spoiler removal etc)

- In addition to this any additional lights must comply with protrusion requirements listed below.

FAQ

Q. How many driving lights can I have?
God of Mod wrote:A. Thou shalt have no more than 6, as to do so would violate the law of the land and of common sense.

Q. Can I have neons?
A. At the moment yes, but the law has changed multiple times in recent years. Red and blue neons are illegal as those colours may be confused for an emergency vehicle, and white neons may not be used on the rear bumper as they may be confused for a reversing light. Neons may not flash or pulsate.

Q. Can I have a search/spot light?
A. Yes but the requirements are a bit tricky, see the regulations for more detail.

Q. What about a flashing siren like police cars?
A. Assessed on a case by case basis by vic roads, but I don't like your chances.
Last edited by GhostDriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

13). PROTRUSIONS

INTRODUCTION

Protrusions on a modified vehicle are regulated under VSI8 (Vehicle Standards Information 8 ), Section 16:

Mr VicRoads wrote: A modification to a vehicle must not have:

- Any object or fitting protruding from a part of the vehicle in a manner likely to cause a risk of injury or bodily harm to any person.

- Bumper bars in which the ends are not turned towards the vehicle to a sufficient extent to avoid the hooking or grazing of any person.

- Vertical supports of any roof-mounting system forward of the windscreen in a way that will affect the drivers field of vision.

-

FAQ

None Yet.
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

GhostDriver
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: THE LEGAL MODIFICATION AND CANARY HUNTING THREAD/FAQ.

Postby GhostDriver » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:42 pm

14). CANARY HUNTING

The truth is that nobody with any sort of automotive ambition will be able to stay completely within the bounds of all of these laws. That being said going canary hunting (collecting as many illegal parts as possible on a single vehicle, and drawing endless attention to yourself) is not the answer either.

We have all heard the horror stories, people who get so many defects in one inspection that they have to sell the car to pay for them. The answer is compromise if a legal solution can serve performance/aesthetic purpose then for god sake use it, and stay clear of trouble. Keep your car as legal as possible and the chances of getting caught will be much lower and the fines will be much smaller.

Hope all this has helped.

Good Luck and Happy Modifying!!!
Cheers,
Dan.

MY00 Special Edition .

BlueDNA
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby BlueDNA » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Very nice write up and very informative! Should eliminate redundant threads asking about the same things!
Maybe put something up about intercoolers and pods? :wink:
David
I dont NEED anger management because it pisses me off!

NICBTN
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby NICBTN » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Can we sticky this?

whitewrx
Ian's Cars
Ian's Cars

Postby whitewrx » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:35 pm

You should be writ'n comadie fa TV, dat was fully sic funny as !...........or, very well written ! :drunk: :police:
Team White ( Northern Subaru )
MY99 WRX
MY06 Spec B Liberty
MY01 Foz.....Silver !

When someone asks, "Where do I know you from?" I respond with, "Well...do you watch porn?"

[WRXTC]
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby [WRXTC] » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

yep...also i think i saw ur put up 80db for exhaust noise..... max allowed legally is 90db's :)
(99 WRX)
(04 WRX STi)
(06 Liberty GT Spec B)

WRX STi

Tein Coilovers
Blouch TD05(24psi)
3" TBE
ID 1000cc Injecs
Walbro Fuel Pump
PSR Intake
PSR Headers
HD Clutch
HP-F Tune + E85 + Launch Control

Random Dude
Forum Over-Moderator
Forum Over-Moderator

Postby Random Dude » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 pm

NicWRX wrote:Can we sticky this?

Can do, sticky in FAQ section.

Just waiting for the author to get back to me with his intentions.
Brenton

Return to “FAQs, Technical Archives & Most Common Issues”