Preferred Subaru mechanics - By owners, for owners! (Poll)

What is your preferred Subaru mechanic in Victoria?

STI Docklands
22%
Subaru Dealerships (Various)
7%
AVO, Cheltenham
8%
Urban Racing Developments (URD), Wantirna South
21%
Got It Rex, Sunshine
10%
Lucas Automotive, Moorabbin
5%
Horsepower Factory, Dandenong
3%
Cromwood Auto Services, Burwood
5%
I'm a Subaru expert and I do it myself
18%

Total votes: 448
sonny0186
Impreza WRX Driver

Re: Preferred Subaru mechanics - By owners, for owners! (Poll)

Postby sonny0186 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Last edited by sonny0186 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CURRENT:
EVO ~ 225awkw, 392nm tq
WRX ~ 200awkw
VF24, PW TMIC & CAI, STi blue injectors, GS 3 port solenoid, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Samco hoses, Selby's rear sway bar, Project Mu NS pads.

sonny0186
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby sonny0186 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Just a curiosity about Subaru Docklands servicing...the 50k kms service for $1000 that includes top up of all fluids, oil filter and fuel filter (that's all I remember him mentioning)...even for the original manufacturer's standards that sounds a bit pricey doesn't it? The dealer I purchased my car from does regular 6 month or 10 k servicing (which includes similar items with manufacturer's specifications at approx. $150...Is there any reason for Subaru charging such a high price for a standard service? And If I add the things I really need i.e. Brake pads and wheel alignment, by his quotes it would easily add into the upper $2500...for that price I can get a fuel economical home-work-home car and leave the rex for weekends...
CURRENT:
EVO ~ 225awkw, 392nm tq
WRX ~ 200awkw
VF24, PW TMIC & CAI, STi blue injectors, GS 3 port solenoid, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Samco hoses, Selby's rear sway bar, Project Mu NS pads.

L1TEW8
Blue Piggy (Black)
Blue Piggy (Black)

Preferred Subaru mechanics - By owners, for owners! (Poll)

Postby L1TEW8 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:44 pm

batista wrote:barnamotive , keysbrough ... only person who took on the job of putting a turbo timer on with a brant alarm.. don`t know why .. guess it might be a pain in the bum

Your kidding right.... Only 1 mechanic took the job. It was easy to do I did it at home with a mate in 30 min. Hope you didn't get charged a fortune
MY07 WRX - The Carbon Rex build thread
http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73295

scoobs
Probationary Driver

Postby scoobs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:56 pm

sonny0186 wrote:Just a curiosity about Subaru Docklands servicing...the 50k kms service for $1000 that includes top up of all fluids, oil filter and fuel filter (that's all I remember him mentioning)...even for the original manufacturer's standards that sounds a bit pricey doesn't it? The dealer I purchased my car from does regular 6 month or 10 k servicing (which includes similar items with manufacturer's specifications at approx. $150...Is there any reason for Subaru charging such a high price for a standard service? And If I add the things I really need i.e. Brake pads and wheel alignment, by his quotes it would easily add into the upper $2500...for that price I can get a fuel economical home-work-home car and leave the rex for weekends...

i got quoted $880 for 200,000km service at subaru ringwood minus the timing belt because it was dont at 195. i thought that was a bit steep, fare enough there changing all filters, and replacing all the fluids and plugs. he said it was so much because of platinum park plugs... my normal mechanic did it for $300, at that rate subaru must be charging $100 per spark plug hmmm

Sharpie
Subie Guru

Postby Sharpie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:51 pm

this is off topic, read the thread its a poll, obviously the person that u spoke to at Ringwood did not explain the reason for such a high cost correctly. Sounds like your mechanic is doing the work for practicaly nothing, i wouldnt even get out of bed for $300 on a major. Hope his done everything nervous hmmm
X-Sti Melbourne Foreman and backyard boy.
just p.m. me.

sonny0186
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby sonny0186 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:28 pm

I was thinking of just replacing oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and coolant fluid in the mean time and buy all the necessary parts and do the slightly more advanced servicing at my dealers...Which by my calculations wouldn't even go close to $1000...I understand it's the "manufacturer" but that doesn't make $1000 for minor service an affordable estimate. This seems to be an occurrence with most "original manufacturer's servicing" not only Subaru...I guess it's the price you have to pay for that "magical touch" :P
CURRENT:
EVO ~ 225awkw, 392nm tq
WRX ~ 200awkw

subi06NA
Blue Piggy (Grey)
Blue Piggy (Grey)

Postby subi06NA » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:39 pm

getting minor service done today hopefully comes in cheap. * touch wood*

Sharpie
Subie Guru

Postby Sharpie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:59 pm

I will be leaving Subaru Melbourne as of Friday 4th of November. Its been a wild ride and learnt many things a long the way, u actually never stop learning. Wrx club members will as always be looked after so nothing changes.....

My next challenge is Honda out Werribee!

I will still be carrying out mods/servicing from home so if anybody needs me, Pm me....

stay cool :cool: :whistle:
Last edited by Sharpie on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just p.m. me.

DChristie
Probationary Driver

Postby DChristie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 pm

I will be leaving Subaru Melbourne as of Friday 4th of November. Its been a wild ride and learnt many things a long the way, u actually never stop learning. Wrx club members will as always be looked after so nothing changes.....

My next challenge is a Ulr Land Rover of Melbourne starting soon

I will still be carrying out mods/servicing from home so if anybody needs me, Pm me....

stay cool

Pm'd
02 STi

d.lo
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby d.lo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 am

Did a major service for my RS at URD from Tony. I came to the conclusion to go to Tony for the service becasue of his reputation, positive feedback from guys on forums and his love of Subaru's.

It didn't cost me a fortune for the Major service and I saved a fair bit if I had chosen to go to a Subaru dealership (they are good but I wanted to try something different).

Tony was very helpful and provided great customer service. Will definately recommend him like everybody else.
DAVID
MY00 GC8 WRX // SILVER

Sharpie
Subie Guru

Postby Sharpie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Yo :giggle:

Ive taken up the position of Workshop Controller at Westside Honda in Werribee in Melbourne's west.
Any Wrx club member/non member who is in need of service & a discount will be looked after pimp just ask for Steve in the workshop. Sti Melbourne still has great staff and is quite capable in handling all your wrx/sti servicing needs at a great price.
and if things go pear shaped ill always get that phone call for help!

Vtec YO. :D

p.m. me on any info required or Subaru mods/servicing after hours!

p.s. We won this poll "END THREAD"
just p.m. me.

wrxguy3000
Impreza RS Driver

Postby wrxguy3000 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:45 pm

honda's need a turbo yo. imagine a type r with vtect + turbo WOOOOOOOOOOSH!!
Expert car detailer. 12 years exp. enquire if u need advice after hours.

XCUZME
Learner Driver

Postby XCUZME » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I take my car to Andrew at Brookvale Mechanics & Mufflers.

He know heaps about wrx's and most jap turbo cars and he looks after everyone in price as well.

Highly recomend him if you are around the northern beaches

dekay
Impreza RS Driver

Postby dekay » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 am

helix wrote:Don't use STI docklands i have had bad experiences with STO docklands.

One service they had some young kid do my car and he forgot to put the rubber gromet on the sump plug so when i drove home the car leaked its oil everywhere. I had to fill it back up with oil after tightning the plug back up again as it was very loose and was less than hand tight(it had drained the car in less than 2 hours)! Luckly i drove the car straight home after the service, if i went for a drive afterwards i wouldn't have seen the problem and it could have been so much worse. When i rang them and told them about the problem, they advised me it would be my responsiblity to get teh car back to them to get it fixed! What if i was someone with no mechnical knowledge like a some old woman or something, they would have screwed the car!

they are also constantly palming off work as well blaming it on anything they can so do don't have to do the work fro free under warranty, for instance i had problems with my clutch and they told me it was just how WRX's are, so it got worse and then i took it back and then addmitted there was a problem and fixed it. They have done this kind of thing several times for any thing that should be fixed under warranty.

The only reason i have gone back after the first incident is becasue they are close to the city and have a bus to drop you off and pick you up. But no more i'm going to camberwell from now on and catching tram back to city.

Are you going to subaru in Camberwell? are they any better?

I just paid a visit to STI the other day for sub and media hub install and they didnt tighten the center console down enough so i get a tiny rattle near the gear stick. Going back to them eventually to get it fixed, PITA.

No fault of the mechanics at STI docklands, but when i had the window tint put on by the company subaru contracts, they managed to break my front door trims.. im waiting for the new parts to come in from japan, under warranty of course, but how the flip did they miss that is beyond me.

I want to do services under warranty but im not sure who to go to.. plus docklands is an age away from me. Im near East Burwood.
2012 Subaru WRX STI R-Spec (5-door)

evo3clbspc
Learner Driver

Postby evo3clbspc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi.

I have the same issues at docklands. Been there too many times now to get this checked and ever time there is some sort of excuse or workaround. I'm a 2011 sti owner and have had all sorts of annoying problems starting with the recaro seats creaking, side pillers rattling etc etc. Recently went back for a squeeling sound when cranking the engine. Get the car back fine for drive home. Turn car on in morning and same problem. Fix apparantly it was a loose exhaust housing WTF?..anyways very dissapointing service. I love subis and always had faith in docklands sti but since vin left and Steve the place is going to sh@t.

Sharpie
Subie Guru

Postby Sharpie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Rattles where my speciality but now working for Vw in Deer Park these Vw are pretty bloody good :P ! i left those homos out in werribee because they had nfi about running a workshop A pillar mould rattles are common and easy to fix by securing wiring behind them, the recaros are crap as u know and are very tall and poorly secured to those seat rails so lots of lube never goes astray, the squealing noise could be a number of things so it may be best to leave it overnight and start it up in front of the mechanic/service advisor in the morning Or once its out of warranty just pop right over to me :lol: .....

theres a new bloke starting up there soon his very on the ball and is keen in the little things like i was many moons ago.

P.s. can i claim this prize for winning this poll even if tony reckons its rigged..
just p.m. me.

sikmrex
WRX STi Driver

Postby sikmrex » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 pm

steve....any easy fix for parvel shelf rattles!??? :cool:
"What do all men with power want? More power." The Oracle

evo3clbspc
Learner Driver

Postby evo3clbspc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Hey,

Ya see the service advisor and mechanic both heard and confirmed the squeeling noise when cranking (not going to mention names) but nothing was really done about it because they probably have no clue and don't want to touch anything from what can gather. Which is annoying because its Sti, not a third party mechanic. I can't keep going back everytime so they can play guessing games. Petrol is not cheap these days and to come from Preston is not around the corner,
( not to mention getting from there to work).

Sharpie
Subie Guru

Postby Sharpie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:19 pm

sikmrex wrote:steve....any easy fix for parvel shelf rattles!??? :cool:

so true petrol is expensive i love lpg! all i can say is get another opinion try tullamarine, Mick's a good mate the manager

the best thing to do would be to remove and insulate all edges and prop the middle with some foam but as u bitchesss are time poor i usually use like a black tar that is sold on a roll to insulate the sides where they meet the c pillars especially on the ends then i usually wrap a rag up into a ball and shove up under the shelf from inside the boot. The baby seat lids all 3 i insulate the tangs as they rattle with some of that tar stuff like chewing gum but u could use some real thin foam thats sold at bunnings OR just come past with 4 cans of jd and coke and i could fix it for u :)

p,s, Vw dont rattle we use dsg to scoot along silently and efficiently

p.s Closed Deck, i was joking u know me always mucking around :mrgreen:
just p.m. me.

ResidentEvil
Learner Driver

Postby ResidentEvil » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:46 pm

well i have to say GotItRex , i have been through a lot of mechanics throughout vic and he simply does magic, Aleck is top bloke, while everyone else kept the car for a few days without any results, he simply took it for a 2min drive and knew exactly what is wrong with it and got it 100% in no time.
'96 WRX wagon
'00 bug eye WRX powered by MRT XB kit tuned by S&J Automotive :)

Return to “General Technical Talk”