silicon intake install with manifold on. Can it be done?

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: silicon intake install with manifold on. Can it be done?

Postby Delivan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Yes it did. I had tied it with zip ties to try and make is smaller to get it in there but it just tore a small crack in it and with the lightest of pressure it came apart in my hand..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

Hasti
WRX STi Driver

Postby Hasti » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:27 am

Did you cable tie the new one as well Delivan?
I assume as mentioned the first ripped due to not being as thick as your second intake
92 RS Lib - No more!
06 STi - No more!
01 GT Foz - No more!
99 V5 STi coupe - Current.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:58 am

No .. the new one was different.. The 1st one had 2 offshoots that had to go through the hole. Having 2 there was what made it so difficult. The 2nd one only had the BOV return off shoot.. The second offshoot, instead of having to go through the hole, is on the front.. The blue one you can see hiding down under the reservoir.
It has a long hose that runs to the back by going under the top reservoir. Only having the one offshoot made it soooo much easier to feed through.. It was still hard as the main section of intake has to start feeding/sliding onto the turbo while the bov section is still struggling to get out of the hole and distorting the pipe that you are trying to get onto the turbo.. It is not an easy job going from one side of the engine bay to the other to get to things and see what is going on..My back was extremely sore by the time I was finished.
If I had had the avo intake in the first place it would have been maybe a 3 hour job.. Having to get the main section and 2 offshoots through that hole is what makes it soo almost impossible. I take my hat off to anyone who has done that.. The scary thing for those people would be the fact that they could have wrecked the offshoots where they join the main pipe and not know it. When the bov offshoot was almost totally torn off but it looked like it was in perfect condition, which means it might look like you have succeeded but infact you have a split that could allow your engine to lean out and melt a piston or two...
I should have taken the seller of the first pipes advise and taken off the manifold..
So..conclusion is if there are 2 offshoots at the rear of you new intake then remove the manifold, but if you have the single bov off shoot, you can use the slide through method as long as you remove the PSteer and alt.
Both methods require the grinding of the fuel line brackets to prevent them wearing into the pipe over time...Good luck with this one....
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

Hasti
WRX STi Driver

Postby Hasti » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:14 pm

I recon I might give it a miss all together.
Unless I pay to have it done.
92 RS Lib - No more!
06 STi - No more!
01 GT Foz - No more!
99 V5 STi coupe - Current.

marksaines
Learner Driver

Postby marksaines » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 pm

So I'm half way through this install and have hit a snag. I was able to cut the top of the fuel line support OK, but when I tried removing it from fuel line end, it's broken off but has taken the weld with it, so now I have a hole in the fuel line. Any suggestions? Rubber fuel line and clamp? New fuel line? What are my options?

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Bugger. Sounds strange though, a single cut near the line should have removed the tab. You can leave the welded bit on, no need to fully take the tab off. Just make sure the edge isn't sharp and file/sand it.

Rubber line is the easiest fix. But I'd take the manifold off for that, unless you can get a good working area. Be careful of spilt fuel, and take mind that the fuel in the lines expands with temperature, so may not leak now from the hole, but definitely can if it gets warm out and you leave it, wrap a rag or something around it, or release the fuel tank cap to let pressure out.

Only issue would be clearing the rubber line and clamps from the intake passing through, should be do-able.

marksaines
Learner Driver

Postby marksaines » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Yeah in retrospect leaving the tab at the bottom on and just filing it would have been the better option. It didn't look like it was held on by much and I guess the weld was stronger than the fuel line itself.

So providing I have clearance, rubber hoses and clamps should be adequate? In terms of pressure and heat around that area?

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Should be fine. You should notice some short lengths of hose on the lines anyway. Just have proper fuel hose and the little fuel hose clamps it should be good. Triple check for leaks and it'll be good. Just be wary of dragging the silicone intake over it and position the clamps so they don't interfere.

If there are any doubts, have a look for a replacement manifold hard line setup. That would be my real preference.

marksaines
Learner Driver

Postby marksaines » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “General Technical Talk”