What exhaust should i get for my rs2.5 impreza

nick.impreza
Learner Driver

What exhaust should i get for my rs2.5 impreza

Postby nick.impreza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Hey just wondering whats a cheap exhaust that I can put on my 2002 Subaru impreza 2.5rs.
Want something thats not to loud but not quiet i wanna hear it.

THANKS

specr
Probationary Driver

Re: What exhaust should i get for my rs2.5 impreza

Postby specr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Get a second hand stock STI one for your year, should fit and will be louder without drone

Some aftermarket but not too loud include:
MRT diffback
Invidia diffback
hitech diffback

Steer clear of x force unless you REALLY wanna hear it
MY13 STI Spec R - BLACK

05-RSX
S204 Driver

Postby 05-RSX » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Nothing built for the turbo-application will fit - the piping is a larger size, as too is the flange. The flange also sits at a different angle.
They can be made to fit easily enough at an exhaust shop - just wont be a straight bolt-on in the garage at home.

With all that said, a loud muffler with the OEM/stock headers will sound pretty terrrible. Look into getting some UEL (Un Even Length) headers to give it that classic boxer note.
After that, replacing with any 'sports' muffler should release the desired noise. Although the 'cannon' style tend to sound a little more hollow, especially on the N/A where there isn't a turbo to dull the high frequencies in the note.

I did a DIY many many years ago for 'achieving the boxer burble'. Do a search and see what comes up.
Campbell.
Team Wagon.

Dr.Nick
Learner Driver

Postby Dr.Nick » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 am

On my last N/A car I got a custom exhaust made for it. Cost $500 including install and a ceramic coating. It was a 2.5" Mandrill bent cat back mild steel with sports exhaust and resonator. I would recommend going to an exhaust shop and getting quotes for a custom system, the price could surprise you.

Return to “General Technical Talk”