HPF Live @ Summernats 23 Wrap up

Moderators: Advertising Manager, HPF

HPF
Club Supporter

HPF Live @ Summernats 23 Wrap up

Postby HPF » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:52 pm

In an Australian first HPF with support from Yella Terra has performed performance upgrades to two vehicles over the duration of Summernats 23.

The goal for the event was to take a standard VE SSV Commodore and upgrade with a head and cam package, and install a supercharger to a standard BA XR8 Falcon. Both vehicles would be tested before and after on a dyno to assess the relevant power increases. All of this would take place on the HPF Live stand, where spectators could view the work being done each step of the way along with commentary and technical information.

Before a spanner was turned a base line dyno run was required, both cars were strapped down on the DAT Performance Dyno with the VE edging out the Falcon with power outputs of 312.4rwhp and 279.7rwhp respectively.

Friday saw the VE SS takes the stand with George removing the heads and the camshaft prior to lunch, the cylinder heads were left on display with Rob explaining the upgrade process to spectators. George continued working through the Canberra heat fitting the Crow Camshaft and Powerbond balancer whilst Rob spoke with Crow Cams and Powerbond about the products being fitted. Late afternoon saw the standard exhaust system be replaced with an HM Headers system and the Higgins ported heads installed along with Yella Terra rockers. The factory ECU was then reprogrammed by HPF gun tuner Paul to suit the modifications.

Saturday was Ford day on the HPF Live stand with the BA XR8 rolled in for its Supercharger upgrade. The crowd gathered to watch George remove the factory intake system whilst Rob and Matt from Yella Terra spoke about Whipple superchargers. With the summer sun now beating down the Yella Terra supercharger along with intercooler and drive system was installed. Paul then flashed a modified tune into the ECM in readiness for its dyno battle.

Late in the afternoon, both vehicles heading down to the dyno building for the big finale, Ford vs Holden, Aspirated vs Supercharged, Manual vs Auto. The Falcon was first on to the rollers and after a few check runs it put down a high of 365.3rwhp which the team was somewhat disappointed with as higher figures are typically seen.

The contender VE was put on the dyno and after a slight tickle to the tune it turned the rollers to the tune of 406.1rwhp which is a credible 96.1hp increase in power!

With the Ford boys in the team a little disappointed with the result they managed to discover a problem with the cooling system in the Falcon which was retarding engine timing and could have been responsible for the lower than expected output. This problem was fixed, the tune was checked and a plan was hatched to get it back on the dyno Sunday.

The team turned up in the dyno cell on Sunday morning with sore heads and high hopes and were immediately rewarded with a significantly improved 409.6rwhp run. This is a more than impressive gain of 129.9hp and amazingly only half a horsepower more than the VE Commodore which was a near perfect result for the weekend!

HPF Live by Yella Terra exceeded our expectations with how it was received both by the public and the industry. With this success plans have already begun for a bigger and better show next year!

Thanks to Yella Terra, Powerbond, Crow Cams, HM Headers, Radio Revhead, DAT Performance, Pinky and of course the boys from HPF!

deafwish
Silver MY06 STi Driver
Silver MY06 STi Driver

Re: HPF Live @ Summernats 23 Wrap up

Postby deafwish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Great work, fellas! :cheer:

T-Rex
MY04 WRX Driver
MY04 WRX Driver

Re: HPF Live @ Summernats 23 Wrap up

Postby T-Rex » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:32 pm

What a brilliant idea! I will try my hardest to make it to Canberra next year, went to 19,20,21 but missed the last 2 years :thumbsdow: . Great fun to be had even for the avid WRX fan!!
Full Race wrote:A smaller a/r has less efficiency at low flow and higher efficiency at high flow. A larger a/r has more efficiency at low flow and less efficiency at high flow

Return to “Horsepower Factory (HPF)”