Today's reflection....

Sime
Club Supporter

Today's reflection....

Postby Sime » Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 am

Here's a very rare 1981 Harley Davidson FXB Sturgis that I repaired and refinshed.

Don, the owner is a good customer of mine. I've previously repaired and painted two 70's classic Ducati cafe racers for him. Don imported this Harley from the USA and bought it purely based on description and photos because the seller said that it was in concours condition. Unfortunately, upon receipt of the bike, Don quickly found that the owners perception of what he defined 'concours' was very different to what concours actually is! So, Don decided a complete rebuild was in order. He broke the entire bike down and we had all the metal work including frame media blasted/stripped. The process revealed various dents and damage and splits in the metalwork that needed to be repaired so we did all that. The bike was then primed and blocked two separate times then painted in PPG D789 Jet Black and clearcoated with a MIPA high solid clearcoat. I then let the parts sit for a week, we rubbed everything down to a perfectly flat finish, applied the decals and then I flowcoated the parts with another 2 coats of high solid clear.

What you see is an 'off the gun' finish. It went straight out of the spraybooth and into the owner's Landcruiser. No polishing required. The owner was completely stoked with the results. And I'm chuffed too! Now he has his concours bike!

Hope you all like!

Paintwerks.com.au
Accident repairs -- Restorations -- Spray painting

PPG Authorised Refinisher

Seetal LowBake Spraybooth for hire

9a Ebden Street, Moorabbin VIC 3189
(03) 9555.4555

M-F 9.00am-6.00pm

L1TEW8
Blue Piggy (Black)
Blue Piggy (Black)

Re: Today's reflection....

Postby L1TEW8 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 pm

What a finish!! Without polishing I can't believe it!!

Would love to see the bike all back together
MY07 WRX - The Carbon Rex build thread
http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73295

Sime
Club Supporter

Re: Today's reflection....

Postby Sime » Thu May 09, 2013 5:11 pm

L1TEW8 wrote:What a finish!! Without polishing I can't believe it!!

Would love to see the bike all back together

Thanks Marc :) Yep, all without any polishing.

The bike is currently being reassembled and when it is completed, the owner will be bringing it past my work so I can see it and take pics. I'll then post them here on the site so you can see them.

Looks like I'll be doing more Harley work in future. I've just started working with a very high quality HD builder, modifier and mechanic who wants me to paint his customer's bikes, parts and wheels for them. Looking forward to the projects.
Paintwerks.com.au
Accident repairs -- Restorations -- Spray painting

PPG Authorised Refinisher

Seetal LowBake Spraybooth for hire

9a Ebden Street, Moorabbin VIC 3189
(03) 9555.4555

M-F 9.00am-6.00pm

Return to “Prestige Paintwerks”