New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Steakboy
Learner Driver
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm

New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby Steakboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Hey, in the next month or 2 I’m getting ready to buy a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback. I’m pretty certain I don’t need an STI, as seeing how this out of my budget, turbo lag(since this will be my city street daily driver), and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds is plenary fast for me... for now. But from a beginners perspective I have a couple questions I’d like help with.
1. Is there any major performance/mechanical differences between a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback? (I’m not worried about aesthetics, strictly under the hood type stuff).
2. A buddy told me certain 2014 WRX Hatch have a 6 speed transmission. Is this true? Or do only the WRX STI have the 6 speed transmissions.
3. I’ve heard blown head gaskets can be a problem, so what are some telltale signs?
3.5. with blown head gaskets, what are some other common issues to look for when buying used?
4. Lastly I’ve seen used WRX hatchbacks in the United States, Utah specifically, go for anywhere from $11K to $24k. All with roughly 50k-80k miles. That is a large spread. What price is a decent price for such a Subaru?
Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a Subaru, and officially join the club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specr
Probationary Driver
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:22 am
Location: Northern Beaches NSW

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby specr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 am

Steakboy wrote:Hey, in the next month or 2 I’m getting ready to buy a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback. I’m pretty certain I don’t need an STI, as seeing how this out of my budget, turbo lag(since this will be my city street daily driver), and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds is plenary fast for me... for now. But from a beginners perspective I have a couple questions I’d like help with.
1. Is there any major performance/mechanical differences between a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback? (I’m not worried about aesthetics, strictly under the hood type stuff).
2. A buddy told me certain 2014 WRX Hatch have a 6 speed transmission. Is this true? Or do only the WRX STI have the 6 speed transmissions.
3. I’ve heard blown head gaskets can be a problem, so what are some telltale signs?
3.5. with blown head gaskets, what are some other common issues to look for when buying used?
4. Lastly I’ve seen used WRX hatchbacks in the United States, Utah specifically, go for anywhere from $11K to $24k. All with roughly 50k-80k miles. That is a large spread. What price is a decent price for such a Subaru?
Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a Subaru, and officially join the club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hey mate, good choice on that year in the hatch

1. AFAIK, no mechanical differences. The narrow body 2010 and earlier were known to suffer from ringland failure but I'm pretty sure your safe in 2011 and above.
2. Never heard of the G3 wrx with a 6 speed. You'd have to go 2015 sedan for 6 speed.
3. Telltale signs are oil leaks and hesitation under acceleration. If you open the radiator cap while the engine is on and there's bubble's that could be a sign too.
4. This is majority an Aussie forum so I can't comment on prices in the states. Hatches are generally more expensive as they're rarer in the later model g3's, especially 2013-2014

Cheers
MY13 STI Spec R - BLACK

Steakboy
Learner Driver
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby Steakboy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 am

specr wrote:[quote="Steakboy"]Hey, in the next month or 2 I’m getting ready to buy a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback. I’m pretty certain I don’t need an STI, as seeing how this out of my budget, turbo lag(since this will be my city street daily driver), and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds is plenary fast for me... for now. But from a beginners perspective I have a couple questions I’d like help with.
1. Is there any major performance/mechanical differences between a 2011-2014 WRX Hatchback? (I’m not worried about aesthetics, strictly under the hood type stuff).
2. A buddy told me certain 2014 WRX Hatch have a 6 speed transmission. Is this true? Or do only the WRX STI have the 6 speed transmissions.
3. I’ve heard blown head gaskets can be a problem, so what are some telltale signs?
3.5. with blown head gaskets, what are some other common issues to look for when buying used?
4. Lastly I’ve seen used WRX hatchbacks in the United States, Utah specifically, go for anywhere from $11K to $24k. All with roughly 50k-80k miles. That is a large spread. What price is a decent price for such a Subaru?
Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a Subaru, and officially join the club!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hey mate, good choice on that year in the hatch

1. AFAIK, no mechanical differences. The narrow body 2010 and earlier were known to suffer from ringland failure but I'm pretty sure your safe in 2011 and above.
2. Never heard of the G3 wrx with a 6 speed. You'd have to go 2015 sedan for 6 speed.
3. Telltale signs are oil leaks and hesitation under acceleration. If you open the radiator cap while the engine is on and there's bubble's that could be a sign too.
4. This is majority an Aussie forum so I can't comment on prices in the states. Hatches are generally more expensive as they're rarer in the later model g3's, especially 2013-2014

Cheers[/quote]
Wow! Thanks for the solid answers! I’m a big fan of the wide body, so that’s why I chose 2011+. After I posted I realized the .com.au in the website url. So the pricing question was far fetched.
Question: when you say G3, I’m assuming that is a social way of saying 3rd generation right? It’s not a Subaru WRX G3, right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specr
Probationary Driver
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:22 am
Location: Northern Beaches NSW

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby specr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:31 am

The GR is the model code for the hatch and GV is for the sedan. They call them G3 to summarise the 2008-2014 models
MY13 STI Spec R - BLACK

Steakboy
Learner Driver
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby Steakboy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

specr wrote:The GR is the model code for the hatch and GV is for the sedan. They call them G3 to summarise the 2008-2014 models

Well hey! The more you know! Thanks again! Can’t wait to post pics of my very own sink wrx G3


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: Bayside

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby neptune11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm

You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

Steakboy
Learner Driver
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby Steakboy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

neptune11 wrote:You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: Bayside

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby neptune11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 am

Steakboy wrote:
neptune11 wrote:You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It's a 2011 year model.. hence MY11..
Well I had to get an engine rebuild about year & half ago, with forged internals built in, organic heavy duty clutch, Kevlar timing belt, Killer b oil pick up & baffle, ect. To keep up with the demands of occasional club track days. The rebuild was required after a ringland piston failure most likely caused from track days...ha..
But if you're daily driving only, I'd say you'd be fine..
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

Steakboy
Learner Driver
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby Steakboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 am

neptune11 wrote:[quote="Steakboy"][quote="neptune11"]You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

It's a 2011 year model.. hence MY11..
Well I had to get an engine rebuild about year & half ago, with forged internals built in, organic heavy duty clutch, Kevlar timing belt, Killer b oil pick up & baffle, ect. To keep up with the demands of occasional club track days. The rebuild was required after a ringland piston failure most likely caused from track days...ha..
But if you're daily driving only, I'd say you'd be fine..[/quote]
Ok, I know a bit about cars so I actually know what most of those repairs are. Except the organic thing. I’ve rebuilt a 1969 MGB, so I can do some stuff. But yeah it would be a daily driver. Nothing fast or crazy. Except when a Honda Civic with a fart cannon for a muffler pulls up next to me, and they rev their engine so I gotta go fast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: Bayside

Re: New, soon to be, WRX Hatch owner questions

Postby neptune11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:50 am

Steakboy wrote:
neptune11 wrote:[quote="Steakboy"][quote="neptune11"]You'll absolutely love & enjoy the widebody hatch, as I do...
Seriously fun factor

What year is your Hatch!? Have you had any problems with it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It's a 2011 year model.. hence MY11..
Well I had to get an engine rebuild about year & half ago, with forged internals built in, organic heavy duty clutch, Kevlar timing belt, Killer b oil pick up & baffle, ect. To keep up with the demands of occasional club track days. The rebuild was required after a ringland piston failure most likely caused from track days...ha..
But if you're daily driving only, I'd say you'd be fine..[/quote]
Ok, I know a bit about cars so I actually know what most of those repairs are. Except the organic thing. I’ve rebuilt a 1969 MGB, so I can do some stuff. But yeah it would be a daily driver. Nothing fast or crazy. Except when a Honda Civic with a fart cannon for a muffler pulls up next to me, and they rev their engine so I gotta go fast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Haha... just let the turbo do the work, & hopefully there's some twisties ahead, for the all paw drive show it's grip.
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

Return to “General WRX and Club Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests