Seeking advise for a WRX as a base for Motorkhanas/rallying

aaltonen
Learner Driver

Seeking advise for a WRX as a base for Motorkhanas/rallying

Postby aaltonen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to buy a WRX from around 2000 to start in Motorkhanas and possibly later in Rallysprints.
I have been following gumtree for a while and found a few candidates that seem to be in good condition.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with those cars and I am afraid that I won't inspect them properly and miss some important bits that would later turn out to be the ones which are costly and could be easily discovered...

I've bought several second hand cars in my life and was always able to do some basic assessment whether one is worth anything or not, but it would be very helpful if you guys could share any piece of advice what to be careful about.

The cars I'm looking at are usually around 200k mileage with quite wide price range from 5k to 8k AUD.
Which parts are worn or close to wear out at this stage in WRX ? What should have been serviced so far?
Any red flags that I can watch out for?

Best regards

isszy
Learner Driver

Re: Seeking advise for a WRX as a base for Motorkhanas/rallying

Postby isszy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:34 pm

This is my uneducated view based on my experience.

I paid $7K for my GC8 to do basically the same thing as you, but have found it is a lot of fun to drive so it comes out most weekends regardless of whether we are competing.

By 200K, a lot will have had new turbo, gearbox and clutch. Mine came with receipts for 2 engine rebuilds, two turbos, 2 clutches and a gearbox. After speaking with the previous owner, I found out that the first engine rebuild was done badly and was redone soon after.

If you are going to do motorkhanas, look at what sort of turbo it has. Mine has a TD06 which is probably a bit too big, and boost does not really come on until fairly high in the rev range. Not really a good mix for motorkhana as you tend to be at low speed a lot of the time. Khanacross and hillclimb are better suited if you don't want to get on the track.

I looked at a lot on carsales over a long period, and compared a lot of them. I'm not particularly mechanically skilled, but took a mate with me who is and worked on a lot of WRXs to look at a few. What I did learn to look for was a turbo that pulled cleanly through the rev range and is not throttled at any point, and a gearbox that shifts cleanly both up and down the gears. Traffic light racedrivers will break clutches by dropping the clutch on bitumen, then they put a heavy duty clutch in which breaks gearboxes.

I also found that if it looked rough, it probably is. If you have time, compare as many as you can. I found more issues with dealer cars than private.

If you are in Melbourne, it would be worth getting Tony at URD or Barrie Crocker to check it out.

Hope this helps.

ryano
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby ryano » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:01 pm

i am about to sell my my99 if you want to buy it? 6 speed DCCD, VF34, haltech ps1000, coilovers, GR STi TMIC and more, 165000kms, $10,000 PM if you would like more details

Red Dirt
Probationary Driver

Postby Red Dirt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:14 pm

I'd go a bug eye WRX.

With P plate laws being changed back, the asking prices for GC8's are just insane, for the same money (even less) you can get a real solid tidy MY01. They are more rigid, larger range of aftermarket parts, can fit wider wheels/tyres, etc, etc

Ye's it's a slightly heavier car, but you can do a lot to shave weight off them..Yes, many people hate the front end, personally it doesn't bother me at all & i can't see it from the driver seat anyway :first:
:cool:

aaltonen
Learner Driver

Postby aaltonen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks for all replies!

Indeed gc8 seem a bit overpriced.

Could you guys take a look at this one please:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/ ... ea=5584158

Looks neat, had some parts replaced/serviced although not sure if all the things that should be serviced at this mileage.
Do you think I can get a decent bug eye in that price range? I'll have a look at ads...

Red Dirt
Probationary Driver

Postby Red Dirt » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:00 am

I wouldnt,

If i really felt compelled to buy a GC for racing i'd get an old LX for $600 & GD sti front cut then do the conversion.

Old LX has no power windows, airbags etc = light fun racecar
:cool:

aaltonen
Learner Driver

Postby aaltonen » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:08 am

how much roughly would be the cost of conversion ? what do you reckon would GD sti front cost?
I know I can look it up somewhere, but prices can vary, if you have any experience and can give some estimate, then please. thanks

Return to “NSW”